Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Prime Focus Photos

thing

Managed to get out last night and use the new adapters for the camera. Minolta D7 at Prime Focus. I used levels in PS to darken the images a bit, but that's all. Because that's all I know how to do... :wink:. Anyway, be brutal, all criticism accepted. Scope is a C8NGT.

4409_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4410_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4411_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4412_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4413_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crikey thanks everybody. They really were point and hope for the best because I really don't know what I'm doing. Craig, the C8NGT is on the CG-5 mount that it came with, I did a rough polar align and just crossed my fingers. The focusing was the hardest part, trying to squint at dim stars down the viewfinder was a bit dodgy which is why I took the Capella shot, it was the brightest star I could find to focus on. I was also suprised by the amount of colour on the M42 shot, I wasn't expecting that at all. You have to hope that the GoTo does it's job as well, because you can't tell with some of the dimmer stuff whether it's in the viewfinder or not, but the Celestron one has always been pretty bang on in my experience, and with the fairly widefields you get with prime focus, if it's a bit out it doesn't matter. I did one of the Crab and it's dead centre of the image, but not enough exposure to warrant putting up here. I'm borrowing a shutter release so I can use the bulb setting to get some longer exposures, it will be interesting to see how well the mount tracks.

I'm going to have to get to grips with PS as well I think.

Thanks Gary but honestly all I did was borrow my Dad's DSLR and buy the adapter for it. I think it was about £12. The fitting is already there on the C8N for it to screw onto. Then just point it at something, focus it and press the release. Actually I found the best thing to do was put it onto the delay setting, like when you take a self portrait then you don't get any shake on the scope when you press the release. It's as easy as that. I've found that setting the 'film speed' to ISO400 gives the best results, anything any faster and the images get a bit grainy.

That's all there is to it, you know as much as me now, which ain't a lot!!

Archived