Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is this video astronomy all about?

iksobarg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great find there, Ken! I, for one, look forward to giving this a full tour when time permits. Currently getting a new MallinCam 8-inch video-monitor properly connected. Goodness but the amount of gear this thing came with was worth the price alone!

If anyone out their can order from Canada or the US, and you need a monitor for video-astrophotography, check out the MallinCam offer.

Clear <snicker - yeah, SURE! :p > Skies,

Dave

He he..nice one ken....hi john..the camera requires an easy modification to remove the ir filter..removing this makes it more sensitive to the light we need to capture. .if you go on to utube you will find a great guide to removing it done by ken..

He he..nice one ken....hi john..the camera requires an easy modification to remove the ir filter..removing this makes it more sensitive to the light we need to capture. .if you go on to utube you will find a great guide to removing it done by ken..

Do you have a link for this procedure?

Clear Skies (Ha! Sure!),

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Smart parts here in Germany sent me the wrong adapter. I'm a bit disappointed because the first part they shipped never arrived due to an error on their part. That was at least 10+ days ago. I'm concerned of how long it's taking to get the proper power adapter so I can see if this camera is working properly before it becomes too late to send it back. I'm looking now for a quicker local solution.

I looked through my old electronics box but found nothing. If I do find a 12V adapter what specific milliamp or amps do I need? Would 1500mah be ok?

Also it's ok to connect the camera to a regular car 12V battery?

Also as suggested I'll be certain to take measures against moisture.

I'm looking forward to patience and caution paying off.

...also looking for a monitor!!

I am always being told this by my electrical friends "Johnny eats 1 apple at a time it doesn't matter that he has 10 apples as he cannot eat more than 1 apple at once " - So if its 12v DC then the  amp rating should not matter as long as its not below the min required.  I would have also thought a 12v batter should  be ok but they are not 12v more like 13.8v . But i would bet that the Samsung would "tolerate" the 13v as I worked at a place that used 12v car batteries to run some security camera's in case the power went off.

You can get these DC/DC converters/regulators http://www.powerstream.com/su20-1212.htm - probably find them cheaper on Ebay.

I am not an electronics engineer so hopefully someone will be along who knows what the truth is  :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Thanks to Davy for helping out and sharing his website: http://astrovideoforum.proboards.com/

Good stuff.

As for my setup I finally got UV filter removed and the camera powered up!

I do have a problem with my ol Dazzle* DVC 80 USB capture hardware and that's the driver. My Win7 system said the drivers did not install properly.

I went on to look for the drivers. In the past I believed I had used the softonic website for other software needs in the past without problems and well this time was most unpleasant.

It all started with search results in google for dazzle point me to legacy website links with nice crappy malware ads to misclick on. This led to dead end links.

Things or worse when I looked for amcap though Softonic which after a few clicks caused a popup in the lower right corner right on top of my system tray! The popup read out loading 100% over several times as it appeared several items were downloading. At the same time my Avira software intercepted three suspicious/malware items.

The softonic popup had no cancel button and it would not go away on it's own so and I saw nothing on the program manager to shut it down so I had to shutdown and restart.

Long story short I need a reliable link for the dazzle drivers (DVC 80) and Amcap as well.

I also realize that a new grabber is only 10 Euros so I might just go with that.

Help \o/

Many thanks!

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've got it hooked and powered up!!

I've tried with a diagonal and direct into the mount of the ED70.

But so far got only a pinkish screen... but this is daytime. Do I need to try this in nighttime?

there's course shadows visible when I put hand in front.

I feel like I am almost there!!

Help!!

WuHqUNQ.jpg

Merry Christmas, John. I think you need the diagonal or an extension, but you should be able to focus and get an image in daylight. Go into the menu, select EXPOSURE, then MANUAL and shorten it to under 1/1000 s. You should see the screen change as you do that. You may have to go to as short as 1/30000s with that scope. Focus onto something outside and farther away.

Hope this works for you.

Don

Another thought, John. To get into the menu, you press the center button of the five on the back of the camera. If you don't get the menu on the screen, something is wrong. I think you can change the language if you want. Not sure if they have German.

Don

Archived