Narrowband

New House

I'm currently going through the process of looking for a new house and was wondering what people's views are on the best direction to face.

For most people they would want South to SW for the sun during the day but is that really the most interesting piece of the sky?  I'm currently facing South and it does seem good compared to the rest but streetlights cover anything other than South at the moment so i'm not entirely sure.

Thanks,

Phil

Luckily I can face in any direction, but always seem to gravitate to the East through South to West views.

I suppose one consideration you might have is that you would want to be facing away from any town/city light dome.

Check out Stellarium on high speed, South is the place to get good views SE and SW either side would be as good as it gets, check out the local (10 miles) area to the South no towns or villages will give you darker southern skies.....:)

If you face south then, throughout the year , everything will come around to being visible. If you face north, it won't - you'll get more or less the same bit of sky at different orientations. (Opposite way round if in southern hemisphere)

Pretty much agree that south-ish is what's needed, also make sure that you're not facing the houses in the same road when looking south. Use google maps when looking for a house, and take a compass with you. Yes you may get some strange looks but tell them you're an astronomer, I did.

Also have a good look around for horrors such as floodlit sports grounds and insecurity lights.

Compass is a good idea. I also received strange looks from the seller. But he wanted to sell and I had the money!

Return to the area after dark to get a feel for intemittent and permanent LP.

Take some binos with you if the sky is good. OK maybe not a good idea to wander the street pointing binos potentially at houses.

I have intermittent LP from a neighbour who, believe it or not is into astronomy!

NE/E/SE was always my viewing direction(s) in my old house. Now in the new house i have N over the roof of the bungalow,E and W views. My S view is limited up to about 30-40 degrees because of trees. Out the front of the house i have nice views in all directions but there are a couple of lamps which are annoying but they dont seem to harm my view too much. I might relocate to observing from the front.

South would be ideal as objects travel east to west so you get to observe them longer and when they are at zenith, they will appear better because less atmosphere to mess with views. The light is more direct.....if you know what i mean.

Check out the Avex UK Light Pollution when looking at new houses. It will give you a good feel of how much general  light pollution there is in any particular area before you buy a house

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

You should aim for a site with the least built up areas to your southern horizon.

You want a clear southerly view without prominent light domes. Not sure what the Newcastle light dome looks like from around Morpeth but you'll probably get better sky if you go west, in which case Newcastle light pollution moves towards your eastern horizon. My observing site is near Kirkwhelpington, considerably further from Newcastle, and the light dome is very prominent from there - but mostly hidden by a hill.

Only way to check a site is go there at night and look.

Archived