Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

tenbyfifty

Planet formation captured in photo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29932609

haven't posted for ages but this pic really caught my imagination.

what a privilege to witness the birth of a solar system. who knows

what will happen there billions of years from now, maybe another Earth  might

form there, amazing!

Edited by tenbyfifty
  • Like 8

Now that's impressive. Here's the radio image from the article:

_78796825_hltau_nrao.jpg

"In a vast disc of dust and gas, dark rings are clearly visible: gaps in the cloud, swept clear by brand new planets in orbit.

The sun-like star at the centre, HL Tau, is less than a million years old and is 450 light years from Earth in the constellation Taurus."

• Like 2

What an incredible image. Quite remarkable. Quite a few rings there with a whole range of orbit distances. Whats interesting is the perfectly circular manor of the orbits. I wonder at what point the orbits are likely to be distorted into eliptical ones.

And whats more i dont think the ALMA telescope is fully complete either. I understand that further arrays are planned to be added enhancing the data quality.

I had never seen this image either by the array before, speechless.

post-19442-0-48255400-1415285043_thumb.j

• Like 2

It's mind blowing the level of detail that has been captured from an object 450 light years away.

I wonder what other fantastic discoveries this telescope is going to make in the future.

Whats interesting is the perfectly circular manor of the orbits. I wonder at what point the orbits are likely to be distorted into eliptical ones.

I presume it starts to happen once the planets reach a size big enough to start having a suitable gravitational effect on it's neighbouring planets ?

Lovely image though!

It's fantastic news and a beautiful image.

I can't wait to see what alma comes up with next.

D.C

Stunning. Simply stunning. Really looking forward to more ALMA data. Really keen to see what the SKA continues to our knowledge as well.

Wonderful image. I'd love to know the scale of the image so we'd know roughly how far out those gaps were, even if they are just resonance gaps.

Still an absolutely beautiful image and concept.

Mark

amazing, its just a shame we only get to see a blink in its creation, such things are breathtaking. A close SN would be just brilliant if one could happen in our lifetime; nudge betelguese  :smiley:

Amazing to think that one day in millions/billions of yrs, liquid water could be on any of those newly forming planets.

That is a stunning image cant wait to see what more ALMA comes up with this is a huge step forward