Narrowband

Planet formation captured in photo

tenbyfifty

Now that's impressive. Here's the radio image from the article:

_78796825_hltau_nrao.jpg

"In a vast disc of dust and gas, dark rings are clearly visible: gaps in the cloud, swept clear by brand new planets in orbit.

The sun-like star at the centre, HL Tau, is less than a million years old and is 450 light years from Earth in the constellation Taurus."

What an incredible image. Quite remarkable. Quite a few rings there with a whole range of orbit distances. Whats interesting is the perfectly circular manor of the orbits. I wonder at what point the orbits are likely to be distorted into eliptical ones.

It's mind blowing the level of detail that has been captured from an object 450 light years away.

I wonder what other fantastic discoveries this telescope is going to make in the future.

Whats interesting is the perfectly circular manor of the orbits. I wonder at what point the orbits are likely to be distorted into eliptical ones.

I presume it starts to happen once the planets reach a size big enough to start having a suitable gravitational effect on it's neighbouring planets ?

Lovely image though!

Archived