Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Kirscovitch

Starting out in Solar Imaging

Been almost a year since I got my first scope and became a member of SGL. Been a great ride so far and instead of losing a little bit of interest and getting bored with it, I am totally addicted and get out every night that even looks like it might clear off. After a few months of visual sessions I started out with a webcam and started taking images of the moon. Then got my VX and DSLR and have been having a blast imaging some DSO's. Lately I've been thinking about some solar imaging. Just more opportunity to take the scope out instead of waiting till dark. I've been looking around at some of the full aperture filters out on the market and they seem awful pricey. Then I found this and thought I could make my own filter and save some money.

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Filter-Telescopes-Binoculars-Cameras/dp/B00DS7S52W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415253453&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+filter+sheet

I am well aware of the dangers of pointing a telescope at the sun without proper filters and was wondering if anyone uses this on their scopes or if there is something better I should be looking at for around the same price. 

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks or other information you can provide. 

Clear Skies!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Baader-Planetarium-AstroSolar-20x29cm-7-9x11-4/dp/B009X1BVFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415259216&sr=8-2&keywords=baader+solar+film

This one is a little more expensive but not much and is the stuff a lot of people use. I use the Baader film and it is real easy to make your own filter and they have instructions on their website.

For me the Baader stuff is the best on the market.