Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Society Finder

FLO

Astronomy societies play an important role in promoting astronomy in the UK so we would like to help people find their local astronomy society.

With this in mind we have built an Astronomy Society Finder page. But it needs populating, please :smile:

If you would like to include your astronomy society please enter details here

Once populated finding an astronomy society in your area will be easy, simply enter your Town / City or Postcode. Every result will include a map and directions. 

(Currently both pages are only accessible via the links in this post but when there are enough societies entered we will reveal the pages and publicise them at our website). 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are those entries being manually reviewed? I added our society and it didn't show up.

They are reviewed before making live. This way if, say, three members of the same society enter the same details the society will appear only once. Entries will normally be checked and appear same day :smile: 

Thank-you to all those who have entered details of their society. 

Steve

Yet again FLO are showing the way. Excellent idea.

Thank-you David. I don't think this is a new idea but we are making it easier for someone to find a society. There will be no need to search long lists, you only need to enter your location to find all the societies in your area plus a map and directions. We also think it important that astro societies have more exposure so we encourage other retailers to do the same. 

If only 10% of the customers visiting our website check out their local astro society, that will make quite a difference :smile:

Thanks everybody for the submissions so far - these are now all added to the map.

If for any reason, the map pointer is in the incorrect place, please send me the latitude/longitude and I will correct it.

Astronomy.tools has a useful tool for looking up the exact coordinates for a location: http://astronomy.tools/page/lookup_coordinates/

Please send them in decimal format rather than degrees.

Thank you :)

Twenty astronomy societies have been entered so we will make the Astronomy Society Finder live soon :smiley:

We don't yet have details of societies higher than Leeds or from Ireland so if you belong to a society 'up north' or on the Emerald Isle please enter details so people can find you. 

And if you know someone at an astronomy society who isn't a member of SGL please ask them if they are aware of the ASF. 

Thank-you  :icon_salut:

astronomy_society_finder.jpg

Hmmmmm, I am getting an error message when I enter a new society and cannot see where the fault lies:-

One or more fields require alphanumeric values

The second address line gets deleted each time as well.

When I added a society I found that I got that error message if there were spaces in any phone numbers/

Twenty astronomy societies have been entered so we will make the Astronomy Society Finder live soon :smiley:

We don't yet have details of societies higher than Leeds or from Ireland so if you belong to a society 'up north' or on the Emerald Isle please enter details so people can find you. 

And if you know someone at an astronomy society who isn't a member of SGL please ask them if they are aware of the ASF. 

Thank-you  :icon_salut:

Twenty-nine astronomy societies are now listed, including some in Scotland  B)

Please keep them coming. 

Just added Worcester AS.

This is a great resource, thanks for producing it

Just a couple of comments

1. It would be useful to have an optional 3rd address line
  2. Many societies have more than one meeting place.  Would it be possible to have additional sets of address and co-ordinate fields to cover this - possibly with an extra field to explain when that particular location is used?

Thanks again for all the marvellous 'extras' that FLO provide.

All caught up adding the societies to the map :)

Just added Worcester AS.

This is a great resource, thanks for producing it

Just a couple of comments

1. It would be useful to have an optional 3rd address line
  2. Many societies have more than one meeting place.  Would it be possible to have additional sets of address and co-ordinate fields to cover this - possibly with an extra field to explain when that particular location is used?

Thanks again for all the marvellous 'extras' that FLO provide.

If you need to enter a third address line, please use Address Line 2 with a ',' between both segments.

I'm not sure whether we should handle multiple meeting places or not - the idea of the system is to help people find their local societies details, not the meeting points as such. My thoughts would be once people know which society is local to them, they will go on the societies own website or make contact to find out about meetings. Presumably if a society has multiple meeting places they will be within a reasonably close distance?

If societies want to list multiple locations, it isn't a problem but it would just mean listing the society details multiple times, once under each address....

Cheers,

Grant

Archived