Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PIPP astro what am i doing wrong

Gadget

When I run a AVI through pipp    the finished saved avi looks like it been taken in a hurricane bouncing all over the place and when I load it into registax just to take a look I can skip through the frames but they don't change and all look the same I realize I must be doing something wrong but just cant figure out what I don't change the settings apart from the ones I need to such as how many frames I want saved and save file as avi    any help appreciated   thx 

Kev

Is it an AVI of a planet or of a lunar feature ... ?

If it's a planet you can get PIPP to centre and crop each frame to eliminate the bouncing caused by the drifting across the chip.

If it's a lunar or solar AVI then the drift becomes much more noticeable when the frames are reordered by quality , the tracking needs to be pretty good to give the stacking s/w a chance but you can tick the 'improved tracking' box in AS!2 which will help matters , Reg 6 will struggle with a wildly bouncing AVI.

When I run a AVI through pipp    the finished saved avi looks like it been taken in a hurricane bouncing all over the place and when I load it into registax just to take a look I can skip through the frames but they don't change and all look the same I realize I must be doing something wrong but just cant figure out what I don't change the settings apart from the ones I need to such as how many frames I want saved and save file as avi    any help appreciated   thx 

Kev

It sounds to me as PIPP is sorting by quality but not centring the object in your video.  That would cause the object in your video to jump around from frame to frame rather than move around gradually.  What is the subject of your video?

Chris

Thx sorry should have said the avi's was close up lunar features so I did check the close up lunar box at start when I paly the avi before I run it through pipp it is nice and steady but maybe it is not steady enough for what pipp needs to do with it?

thx

kev

Yes, PIPP reordering the frames by quality will cause a lot of jumping around if the image is not dead still in the video.  A couple of options spring to mind:

1)  Disable 'Quality Options->Quality Estimation->Reorder Frames In Quality Order'

This will still allow you to only keep the sharper frames, but will leave the frames in the original order with 'jumps' where the low quality frames have been removed.  This might result in a better result.

2) Quality Estimation completely.

This means PIPP will just be doing a dumb video format conversion to a format that RegiStax should accept.  This may be of use to you if RegiStax will not handle your original video file correctly.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris ,

You mentioned a while back that you were going to look into a 'region of interest' feature that would allow one to centre and crop on a crater or sunspot , was wondering how that panned out ...?

Yes, that is still very much on the to-do list!

Yes, PIPP reordering the frames by quality will cause a lot of jumping around if the image is not dead still in the video.  A couple of options spring to mind:

1)  Disable 'Quality Options->Quality Estimation->Reorder Frames In Quality Order'

This will still allow you to only keep the sharper frames, but will leave the frames in the original order with 'jumps' where the low quality frames have been removed.  This might result in a better result.

This means PIPP will just be doing a dumb video format conversion to a format that RegiStax should accept.  This may be of use to you if RegiStax will not handle your original video file correctly.

Cheers,

Chris

Thx Chris

Will give that a go it is all the fault of the ZWO asi120  where I have been used to 10/12 fps from my trusty spc900  The insane rates I am getting now is given me avi's that are far to big just have to remember to cut down the capture time needed now

Kev

Thx Chris

Will give that a go it is all the fault of the ZWO asi120  where I have been used to 10/12 fps from my trusty spc900  The insane rates I am getting now is given me avi's that are far to big just have to remember to cut down the capture time needed now

Kev

Oh yes, the ASI120 will soon fill up your hard drive!

Cheers,

Chris

Have just tried your suggestion Chris and it worked a treat  thank you very much for that

Kev

Archived