Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light with Modified 350D

steppenwolf

There was a brief gap in the clouds and rain this evening so I couldn't resist trying out my new Canon 350D with modified Baader ACF IR filter. An obvious target was the Rosette Nebula which I simply cannot fit into a single frame using my 80mm ED Refractor and Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9C CCD camera but this new camera I could frame the image quite well (well I could if I had spent more time on the composition anyway!).

Whilst it was raining this afternoon, I spent an enjoyable (?!!) hour or two calibrating the RGB conversion percentages in MaximDL to get an accurate colour rendition of a daytime image taken with the new camera as this seemed a logical start point for post processing. The following is the result of 8 X 300 second subs., BIAS and Dark frame subtracted using a series of 20 calibration frames prepared the night before. I could have done with a whole lot more subs. but it wasn't to be

ngc2237_090308_l.jpg

Thanks for your comments, folks. I am relieved that the first image from the camera was OK as I am hoping for good things from it in the future!

Although I have a lovely astro CCD (SXVF-H9C), I have found that it's major limitation is the size of the sensor and I do like taking widefield images as well as getting in close! I have successfully used a Canon 200mm L series telephoto lens to increase my field of view with the H9C but the sampling rate has been less than ideal and I end up with rather 'blocky' stars so I wanted a larger sensor that would allow me to continue to use my Skywatcher 80 ED 'scope but with wider FOV's.

At this moment in time, my first choice (Starlight Xpress SXVF-25C) is out of my price range (I am on a mortgage pay off quickly trip!) despite its recent price tumble so I had to find a more cost effective solution. I will miss the Peltier cooling of the H9C but hope to mitigate the noise issues with my carefully prepared set of 'Darks' and BIAS' master frames as I will be working on the absolutely raw data that has not been de-Bayered by the camera. I have never used 'Flats' before but expect to do so now to avoid vignetting.

Any tips for a simple and foolproof method of taking Flats?

I reckon that has pretty much decided me too as regards getting a modded 400D.

Great pic. I have struggled to find 'helpful' info on flats. SteveL was the most helpful on a different forum. Some primers recommend taking them at twilight, but Steve does them artificially with white card.

Cheers

TJ

Archived