SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A-Road Streetlight Upgrade to LEDs

Steven_J

Hi all,

I live in Stevenage and just had a council letter pushed through stating they are going to replace the sodium lamps on A-Roads with LEDs including a light reduction scheme of a 25% reduction from 23:00 to 06:00. This should be finished by May 2015 and is being carried out by Ringway.

While I am somewhat hopeful on this being less intrusive than those blumming orange lights, I want to ask them if they are changing the actual lamp housing to direct the light straight to the ground as opposed to it scattering into the sky above or sideways into bedroom windows. Is there a specific term for that construction and light pollution equipment?

Council statement on the upgrading - http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/transtreets/highways/streetlightenergy/ledaroads/

Updating schedule as per Ringway - http://www.ringway.co.uk/our-contracts/term-maintenance-services/hertfordshire/hertfordshire-s-a-roads-led-upgrade

Any thoughts on how desirable this is as it looks good on the face of it?

This was done when I lived in Hampshire and I noticed that;

* Away from town the light pollution was lower and improved when street lights were dimmed.

* In town the white light "glares" significantly more from the existing retro-fitted light fittings.

* The light is harder to filter out (all your neodymium-style filters are much less effective).

There are LEDs in my area and although they are very bright in the locality, the light shines downwards and is lit where is 'needed'. A short distance away from the lights and it is very dark. Rather not have them though, even for a tiny community such as this!

The LED (White) lighting will still reflect of wet roads ect so i'm no so sure it better anyway.......

I had wondered about this, but decided it may not be that common to be observing when the roads are wet.  Some people may be more adventurous than I, I'm sure.

James

I had to fight Hertfordshire county council all summer over one of these new lamps. Eventually they fitted one with glare shields that stops light pollution to the front and rear. However it has wide angles of light either side of the lamp which still pollutes my garden.

Before midnight I've not a hope in hell of any decent viewing so for now I'm switching to lunar viewing.

If it's dry tonight I'll take a photo and post it here.

The type of lamp housing you're looking for is termed "Total cut-off".

As for observing (Or in my case imaging) with wet roads, in London especially I often find the most transparent skies after a good raining to wash the clag out of the air. London's clag conspires with the LP to create a horrible orange fog that is much worse than the mere loss of transparency.

Remember, you could be observing in winter with snow on the ground, far more reflective than mere rain.

Remember, you could be observing in winter with snow on the ground, far more reflective than mere rain.

Ah, snow, yes, I'd forgotten about that.  I think I'm safe though.  It would have to stop raining first :D

James

Archived