SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First go with the new setup, hm..... M45 09/03/08

Whippy

First light with my (almost) new setup so nothing to complicated or difficult as you know what first lights are like.... :wink:. Actually apart from getting both cameras into focus and the guidecam just dying halfway through, no major problems so it's been a fairly stress-free evening!

So, M45 taken by an Atik16HR with IR cut and Neodymium filters on a WO ZS110, guided by a QHY5 running PHD on an Intes Micro MN56 all on top of an EQ6 pro mount.

17x2 mins exposures, stacked in DSS and basic levels done in photoshop. Really must learn photoshop as I'm sure there's more in these pics than my lack of knowledge is letting on!

4389_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Yep, as Rog said, the stars are excellent Tony, apart from Rog.'s suggestion on extending the exposures, do you not have a focal reducer in there mate, get more of the cluster in the field, and a faster system will draw out the nebulosity too.

Apologies for telling granny and all that. Also it's your maiden image, so I should keep my gob shut. :wink:

Ron.

Thank you gentlemen :wink:, in fairness it's not really a 'proper' image as this was a test run and M45 is way past it's best, they disappeared behind a tree before I called it a night! But it's nice to set this lot up without any real issues to worry about.

Tony..

You're off and running now Tony. The star shape and focus are good so there's nothing to stope you. Like you, I suspect there's a bit of nebulosity working away in there. Did you use curves when processing or just levels?

Thanks all :). Just waiting for another clear night now!!

You're off and running now Tony. The star shape and focus are good so there's nothing to stope you. Like you, I suspect there's a bit of nebulosity working away in there. Did you use curves when processing or just levels?

I just used levels Martin, I haven't worked out curves yet and as you showed me at Kelling, that's where the magic is :). I'm working my way through Ron Wodaski's book and the image processing bit (ie: levels and curves) is towards the back :wink:...

Tony..

So after a little read and a little play, I've managed to tease a bit of nebulosity out of it :wink:. Obviously not enough exposure time and it's pretty noisy and it's probably overcooked in photoshop, but not bad for a first go.

4430_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Excellent Tony, :hello1: your away and running now with the new set-up. Any chance you can do anything about the weather with your midas type touch :laughing5:

I do like the nebulosity starting to show through...

Steve..

Thanks all :wink: although I apologise about the godawful weather! Truly atrocious. I saw a report on the news about a caravan park In Selsey getting the full force of it and was a bit relieved that it hasn't nowhere near as bad over here..

Dave, I have to say that the QHY5/PHD guiding setup really is bomb (idiot) proof, when the cam died halfway through I didn't notice until the exposures from the Atik had trails on them... It took me longer to focus the cam than it did to set the whole thing up! Press Here Dummy indeed!!

Tony..

Archived