lodestar x2c and focal reduction

ohills

I am new to this Hobby but just wanted to chime in on something, I have a Mallincam Extreme and both the MFR5 and MFR5 x2 I found the old MFR5 had some odd reflection issues but not so bad as to be a deal breaker, the newer x2 version corrected this issue.

I have used this FR on both my Mallincam and Lodestar on my 11" EdgeHD. The suggestion in a earlier post on getting extra spacers was a great idea. I find both the Mallincam Extreme AND the Lodestar wonderful tools for me one does not replace the other each has unique purpose I recently purchased a Explore Scientific 80mm scope and Lodestar x2 color and am eager to try wider field imaging and Electronic viewing with both cameras while guiding with the origional Lodestar as most my imaging has been at 14-90 seconds I want to see what can be done in 2+ min exposures.

Here is my flickr the color images are the Mallincam, the Mono images are the Lodestar unguided. Again I am new I have only been doing this a year with maybe 10-15 setups in that time so do not expect much.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100203402@N04/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new to this Hobby but just wanted to chime in on something, I have a Mallincam Extreme and both the MFR5 and MFR5 x2 I found the old MFR5 had some odd reflection issues but not so bad as to be a deal breaker, the newer x2 version corrected this issue.

I have used this FR on both my Mallincam and Lodestar on my 11" EdgeHD. The suggestion in a earlier post on getting extra spacers was a great idea. I find both the Mallincam Extreme AND the Lodestar wonderful tools for me one does not replace the other each has unique purpose I recently purchased a Explore Scientific 80mm scope and Lodestar x2 color and am eager to try wider field imaging and Electronic viewing with both cameras while guiding with the origional Lodestar as most my imaging has been at 14-90 seconds I want to see what can be done in 2+ min exposures.

Here is my flickr the color images are the Mallincam, the Mono images are the Lodestar unguided. Again I am new I have only been doing this a year with maybe 10-15 setups in that time so do not expect much.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100203402@N04/

Excellent results, Ed! I especially like your planetary shots and the Veil. Working with that long FL scope is tough and you are really putting it to good use. I think you'll enjoy your new ES 80 and could probably start using it at it's native FL, which, I think, is 480mm. What focal reductions are you using with the C11? You might want to try getting down to f3.3. You can either get a Meade 3.3 used or a f6.3 made by several suppliers. You can stack the 6.3 with the MC reducer as discussed in a previous post in this thread. Optec makes a nice f3.3 as discussed earlier, but it's on the pricey side.

I noticed that you had some amp glow in some of your MC shots. I understand that Mallin has developed an amp glow reduction system. I don't know if he is offering this as an upgrade to the Extreme, but it might be something to look at. Chris A ran some tests on it and it looks very good. The results are in the MC forum. Chris also produced some video tutorials on amp glow removal.

There's a lot to learn in this hobby and this forum has been extremely helpful to me. EAA has opened a whole new world for me. Let us know how your new scope and LSX2C work out and post some results.

Don

Archived