Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image ever - Awful... but still I'm happy :)

Vox45

After buying my first scope ever in october and after first light 2 days later, I had to wait for the sky to clear up and then...

The moon came out !

I rushed to install everything in my kitchen (see my other post) and after "wowing" my wife and 5 yrs old daughter with an amazing view of the moon through the ocular, I installed my moded toucam webcam at prime focus on my C6.

The moon appeared in all it's glory on the screen of my laptop and I captured 1 thousand frames of it. I then used PIPP and Registax, fiddled with wavelets and contrast. A blurry and awful image came out of it.

I spammed my family and friends, like a toddler showing it's first mess of a drawing, I got polite "nice", "keep at it" as replies but still ... I am happy because that's what it's all about. The joy of astronomy.

In the grand tradition of this forum: I present to you my 1st attempt at The Moon !

Moon's south pole and Moretus

Mare Imbrium - Archimedes

I was able to identify the second one as Archimedes and Montes Apenninus, but with the flips and mirror, not sure about the 1st.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, a cracking start.

You'll be playing with all the gain, gamma, exposure settings next time round as the pressure to get an image has gone...

Maybe next time for more frames, but a lower percentage in Registax for the final stack.

Ant

Thank you all for your positive feedback :)

I am waiting on the delivery of an IR-UV filter for the webcam (not sure it will help on the moon though). I had a lot of turbulence and I may be able to get better seeing next time by moving away from all the concrete and bricks that surrounds me and that is giving away heat at night.

I agree about focus and I guess tweaking with gain and things like that would help. I use sharpcap but I used the default setting that night (auto gain ?)

Same for Registax, which is a bit complicated at first. Need to learn what all the settings actually do instead of clicking at what "feels" like the correct setting... hum

Anyways, like they say: "you have to start somewhere..."

I agree, a cracking start.

You'll be playing with all the gain, gamma, exposure settings next time round as the pressure to get an image has gone...

Maybe next time for more frames, but a lower percentage in Registax for the final stack.

Ant

Thanks Ant ! I'll look into this. I did have the pressure of the 1st image .. the excitement was there and I forgot all the theory, just wanted to get a pic to share with my friends and family. You know the feeling right ? ;)

That's a perfectly respectable start, well done. Looking full size I think the focus was probably a little off but it's tricky to get right - with a little practise I'm sure you'll improve.

Yes ! Never look at full size. They look amazing on an iPhone 3 screen ! If I could look at them on an even smaller screen that would be great :)

nice photos, I particularly like the lighting on the Appennines.

Your first photo is the lunar south pole region - the crater in twilight with the central peak sticking up nicely is Moretus - http://www.moon.com.co/atlas/sections/h2.shtml

Haaaa thanks !

I tried to compare with 'moon atlas' but got very confused with the flip and mirror image + scope flip + scale. I had a hard time matching the picture with what the atlas showed.

One of the lesson learned is that I'll try to identify what I see when I image it and take note, otherwise it is a pain to identify at a later time !

I did a bit of detective work - I figured that since the moon is just over first quarter at the mo, that you had a terminator region, and that it was a highland region, that it must be at the bottom somewhere.

I haven't memorised all the craters yet !

After you told me I looked up both regions and discovered 2 things...

(1) I got the Apollo 15 landing site on the 2nd picture (yipee)

(2) I was so close to get Clavius in the 1st picture but did not (bouh)

Next time I'll plan my imaging session a bit before I start snaping away at random stuff ;)

Ho well, live and learn !

(1) I got the Apollo 15 landing site on the 2nd picture (yipee)

Apollo 15 was the cool one where they went to see Hadley's Rille to see if it was an ancient river bed and evidence of water on the moon - somewhat disappointingly turned out to be a large collapsed lava tube.  They walked right up the the edge of it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_Hadley

I did a bit of detective work - I figured that since the moon is just over first quarter at the mo, that you had a terminator region, and that it was a highland region, that it must be at the bottom somewhere.

I haven't memorised all the craters yet !

Went to your Flickr account ... Impressive work !

I still have a lot to learn ;)

A little bit a tweaking (spent the whole day on this)

I used PIPP + AS2 + Registax and I was able to get a moderate amount of improvement... The problem is that the initial vid is not very good so I don't think I can get better images than those.

Moretus And  south pole crater field (tweaked)

Mare Imbrium - Archimedes (tweaked)

Biggest improvement is on the second one. But I still have a ghost Archimedes craters in it. Not sure if I can do anything about that ...

Archived