Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

denis0007dl

Nikon 18x70 IF WP WF

Not I, but you have me curious about if 1, Nikon do an equally good 10x50 and 2, where did you get those from?

Denis. Still happy with the Nion? The Nikon 18 x 70 must be a great instrument for stargazing. Specially because of it's magnification. 

I have a Nikon 7 x 50 IF SP (Prostar) and it's probably one of the best, or the best, 7 x  50 binoculars you can have. Only for stargazing you want more magnification. So for me it makes it very difficult to decide which Nikon I want to buy. The 18 x 70 IF WP or the 10 x 70 IF SP(flattener)The SP is going to give pin sharp stars to the edge without any doubt (yes! there are binoculars who can do this). The 18 x 70 won't. But how much is it? Field of view in the 18 x 70 is larger but in the 10 x 70 SP it's almost perfect.

Ai,... I know these Nikons are really great. All of them. But which one do I want to buy? The 18 x 70 IF WP or the 10  70 IF SP.  

I know these Nikons are really great. All of them. But which one do I want to buy? The 18 x 70 IF WP or the 10 70 IF SP.

personally I'd save a packet and go for one of these.......

http://apm-telescopes-englisch.shopgate.com/item/313832

I've looked through the 16x70 on a few occasions and it's a quality Instrument indeed. I've contemplated many times pairing one of these with my 10x50 Fuji, but my 15x70 Helios Apollo (BA8) is really close in performance terms at this aperture/magnification & also has slightly more eye relief . So far I've managed to resist but I won't rule one out in the future!

Edited by Damo636

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere, like the Fujinon, have field flatteners built into the eyepieces.

Yes, Markus Ludes said on CN that all the LE magnesiums have field flatteners in the eyepieces. I'd love to try that 16x70!

Yes, Markus Ludes said on CN that all the LE magnesiums have field flatteners in the eyepieces. I'd love to try that 16x70!

As would I Steve!

• Like 1