Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
ian_d

Earthshine

All

Getting a lovely view of "earthshine" right now, thin crescent Moon low in the west but surface features across the whole disc visible in binoculars - nice!

Anyone with good imaging skills able to take a photo of it?

cheers

Ian

I noticed this when I went to the door earlier. I eagerly set up my scope and carried it out into the back garden only to realize that it was right behind a tree :) Did look amazing to the naked eye though. :wink:

I spotted it when I was upstairs. I took a couple of pics of it, just the camera. I've posted them <a href=http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,24048.msg245021.html#msg245021>here</a>. They aren't great images, but I wanted to try and capture something.

Imaging Earthshine is a nearly impossible task, due to the fact that the human eye has a much greater dynamic range than a camera. I've not seen any single image able to capture both without messing with one or the other. You get either the bright part OR the dark part, not both.

I noticed this also yesterday, and called Rosie out to look. We both "Oooh'd" and "Aaaah'd" for a few moments, then went back inside. :wink:

Imaging Earthshine is a nearly impossible task, due to the fact that the human eye has a much greater dynamic range than a camera. I've not seen any single image able to capture both without messing with one or the other. You get either the bright part OR the dark part, not both.

I noticed this also yesterday, and called Rosie out to look. We both "Oooh'd" and "Aaaah'd" for a few moments, then went back inside. :wink:

Sounds like a job for HDR man :ogre:

I think Starman posted an image on here last year of this very thing, an amazing image.

naz

Matt's image is amazing, as is Starman's.

The bright portion of the Moon in Matt's image is washed out, hiding crater detail you can see with your eyes. Starman's image is a combination of two images, as I suggested.

Both are great images with a different approach to achieve the end result.

naz

Earthshine is the "dark" side of the Moon as seen with light reflected off the Earth. In Matt's great image, it's the dimmer part, where regular sunlight illuminates the bright part at the bottom.