Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aldi telescope

cyborg421

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard of these on the SPA forum, but as one member there says they are reflectors...! :rolleyes:

Can you remember the make and price? OPTUS and £25 was mentioned by the SPA member. He gave it a better quality eyepiece to use as a low power scope. Good for kids, maybe, IF you get a good 'un, of course. Lots of better choices out there, as we know.

Mark

Yep, haven't looked through the dob so can't comment on that but aldi and lidl do some great for the money optics, I've got a £50 Lidl microscope that sells for twice that on Amazon and while my £15 spotting scope wasn't quite as good as the £1000+ Pentax one the guy on the next lane at the range was using it wasn't that much worse and was plenty good enough for spotting my shots at 600m.

Wasn't commenting on the usefulness or otherwise of the scope. It might be a good buy if inspires someone to take up astronomy. Merely the fact that whoever designed the box didn't understand that a Dob doesn't have a lens.

Wasn't commenting on the usefulness or otherwise of the scope. It might be a good buy if inspires someone to take up astronomy. Merely the fact that whoever designed the box didn't understand that a Dob doesn't have a lens.

Or a fail in the Chinese - English dictionary

It has mirrors not lenses if it's a Dob....

Simon

Be careful here Simon. A Dobsonian is a type of mounting not a type of scope. It is therefore very possible to get a dobsonian refractor and trust me its been done more than once before. ;)

Be careful here Simon. A Dobsonian is a type of mounting not a type of scope. It is therefore very possible to get a dobsonian refractor and trust me its been done more than once before. ;)

I'm struggling to imagine how that would even work.  You'd have to lie prone on the ground to be able to see through the eyepiece.

That's how Dobsonian refactors work, you just have something taller underneath the "ground board". I have a 5" F15 Dobsonian refractor and 8" and 12" Dobsonian reflecting binocular telescopes. The Dobsonian design is excellent for all applications that need smooth stable motions.  :smiley:

That's how Dobsonian refactors work, you just have something taller underneath the "ground board". I have a 5" F15 Dobsonian refractor and 8" and 12" Dobsonian reflecting binocular telescopes. The Dobsonian design is excellent for all applications that need smooth stable motions.  :smiley:

I still need to get myself up to you to try out those giant telescope modded bins you showed me last I was up peter, will try to get up soon  :smiley:

Is this what a Dobsonian refractor is? Or is this just a refractor with a Dobsonian style mount on a tripod? I am getting very confused here as this is the first time I have ever come across such a hybrid!

attachicon.giftmb175dobmount1.jpg

That just looks gorgeous! Like my old 50mm, ON STEROIDS! :grin:

Any idea how big that refractor is? And is the lucky owner here on SGL?

Mark

That just looks gorgeous! Like my old 50mm, ON STEROIDS! :grin:

Any idea how big that refractor is? And is the lucky owner here on SGL?

Mark

I just found the image by googling Dobsonian refractor, so I have no idea what size it is or to whom it belongs - I was just curious as to what one looked like.

Archived