Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First white light image - 27th October

Chinapig

Hi folks

I've been enjoying my new Lunt wedge, and watching the big spot over the last week or so.  My first white light experience.  Naturally, I wanted to grab a pic of the big spot while still in view. 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my dslr to reach focus with my Equinox ED80 - not enough in-focus, apparently - and then remembered I had an eyepiece-projection adapter ring for a Hyperion eyepiece.  

So this is my first attempt at solar imaging, with my 60D on the end of the Herschel wedge, via a 13mm Hyperion eyepiece.  Single shot at 1/2000 sec, ISO 500.

Lots to learn, like getting the camera EXACTLY in focus, but at least it's a souvenir!

Cheers all

Simon

post-29333-0-52619400-1414448773_thumb.j

Thanks folks - appreciate the welcome, and the encouragement!

Solar addiction is definitely setting in quickly. Having had a quick peep through a Quark at IAS back in June, the concept of solar observing & imaging has been bubbling away quietly. Thought I'd try a wedge to start with, to see if I enjoyed the solar experience at all, before committing more serious funds to a Quark or small Ha scope. Well, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far!

And I'm getting even more obsessive about weather forecasts - quite twitchy if I see a blue patch approaching. Is there a cure for this addiction? I presume it's only resolved by taking loads more images!

Thanks again folks.

Simon

No cure at all apart from constant sunshine and not being at work.

Guess I can't do much about the sunshine apart from hope, but retirement isn't far away now, and i've just started working from home - the astro cupboard is in my office, so I'm planning to grab any opportunities I can!

Great first image. No need for a cure, inhale that drug spend your money and keep imaging. If you make it through winter and still watching those forecasts thats it NO RETURN :D

Thanks Craig - reckon I'm pretty close to the point of no return anyway!

Archived