SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trigger grip/ball head/tripod combo bargain? (2)

Alfian

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just ordered the Ravelli branded tripod via Amazon.

Hah! Hadn't noticed that was back in stock. .

Change the last bit of my previous to read:

"...probably better off getting the Ravelli version (exactly the same), with tripod for less lucre here..."

It took me a moment to realise that there's a tension adjustment screw on these grips (Camrock / Ravelli / Olivon / Weifeng branded), which means I'd not read Steve's manual thoroughly.

Steve has, of course, documented it beautifully but, in case it helps anyone whilst searching this site (in 'stock' config, mine wasn't in any way strong enough to hold a set of Apollos without slipping even from almost vertical):

Quoted from Steve's website (I assume you don't mind me quoting / liking Steve, it's a superb resource).

Steve's manual in PDF form here: http://www.binocularsky.com/manuals/TG-manual.pdf

quote  "Adjusting the Head
The tension of the ball-and-socket joint is adjustable. There is an adjusting screw in the base of the body of the head. To adjust it you need a 3mm hex wrench (allen key).
Its tension will be a matter of personal preference, but I find that an optimal combination of non-slippage when the trigger is released and ease of motion when the trigger is operated is achievable by:

1. Hold the head horizontally and tighten the tension until it just holds the binocular.
2. Slacken the tension gradually until the binocular just slips.

I assume you don't mind me quoting /

Not at all; my aim is to disseminate good information, so I positively encourage quoting/copying, etc., which is why everything on my web sites is published with a CC-BY-NC-SA license. - i.e. do what you like with it as long as you attribute it and don't use it for commercial purposes.

It's arrived! :smiley:  The Trigger head is Identical to the 'Camrock' one that already sits on my monopod-so worth at least £20 there(honestly can't remember how much I paid).The tripod itself is VERY wellmade-bear in mind that my only previous tripod is a Hama 63 that cost about £14- I have to admit that I used to sweat a bit with the Celestron 15x70's on it!. I tried my Helios Apollos on it this afternoon,and I'm quite confident that this rig will take the weight up to high elevations.The instructions I got with it are in 'proper money' and say it will take a load of 17lb (albeit for a camera).As a possible mount for a 'grab and go'- ST80/Skymak 90 etc it could well make the grade. As a plus,as well as a decent shoulder case,I got two allen-keys,for the head and the tripod,and a LED key light ,and cleaning cloth in a dinky key bag! I,hopefully intend to 'test drive this rig tonight, weather and wind permitting(yellow warning for two days time!). First impressions? GRAB ONE,at this price, WHILE YOU CAN! :smiley:

Hi  Man or Astroman, re: "As a possible mount for a 'grab and go'- ST80/Skymak 90 etc it could well make the grade"   I have used my Skymax 102 on mine. I was a bit unsure at first but it was fine. Its not a perfect set up compared to a proper astro mount, but it sure makes for a very portable package.

I think that the only thing missing are fine alignments.I've got an EQ2 mount,but sans transport,it's too much to carry,with my 130P in tow.I must admit to a growing interest in double stars(something I probably would have dismissed a year ago)and a cheap,go and go set up suits my situation- low finance and high light pollution!

My Ravelli combo arrived today. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tripod - a much more substantial beast than I was expecting. Trigger grip works well, and out of the box its adjustment/tension was pretty much bang on for my 15x70s.

Nipped out into the garden as soon as dusk faded, and grabbed a quick pre-dinner tour of Coathanger, M57, M31, M45, double cluster etc... Total height of tripod, trigger grip and L bracket seemed pretty good for even near-zenith elevations. I can see why the trigger grip is so well recommended for this task. Quite impressed. Amazing value. And the wee bag with the cleaning cloths is a neat touch!

My thanks to Steve & everyone for the links and recommendations - very grateful.

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

My order was placed earlier this week, and arrived yesterday.

The 15 x 70mm Revelation bins are rock solid on the tripod, and the pistol grip ball head is very easy to use.

Unfortunately the £37 versions are sold out now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravelli-APGL4-Professional-Tripod-Adjustable/dp/B003SQEAY0/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414409468&sr=1-2-fkmr2&keywords=Heavy+Duty+Bogen+type+Ball+head

Spare plates

I have been looking for spare plates and found them at the usual places:

Amazon £4.15p (free post for £10 orders) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Head-Plate-Kn-Tripod-60/dp/B0073C1F0C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ph_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FBE1ECQQVXVA76C8475

Ebay £3.43p (with free postage included) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Konig-Quick-release-plate-for-KN-TRIHEAD50-/301074849684?pt=UK_Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item4619759f94#ht_734wt_1162

I am hoping the Manfrotto type of plate will fit the Ravelli, then I can swap the kit over between the monopod and tripod quicker and easier.

One size fits all would be good.

Archived