Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trigger grip/ball head/tripod combo bargain? (2)

Alfian

Hi all, In my enthusiasm I posted this on the wrong section - so have repeated here - apologies. In the process of helping out on another post - I came across this combo for sale.

http://www.amazon.co... type Ball head

This seems to  be a repeat of the combo that I bought a while back and how I acquired my trigger/ball head as per Olivon, Dynasun etc.  The trigger grip ball head needs no introduction .The tripod is probably no Manfrotto but is heavy duty and well made with adjustable clamps. The click stop adjustment of the individual legs works well and makes for a very versatile tripod. As well as Binos I've had my 102 Mak on it quite sucessfully. Pitched up at high angles was fine although I was a bit edgy about it at first.

At this money the combination is a real bargain. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Craig, as I've said in my heads up I've had my Skymax on it, which with finder, diagonal and EP will weigh in at over 2Kgms, I guess about 2.4Kgms. Then there’s the ball head on top - and it all hangs together OK. 

I am assuming that the tripod is the same spec as mine it, certainly looks the same. 

According to the spec of mine, it weighs in at 2.9 Kg  and will take a load of 6 Kg.

I  just did a little experiment strapping a nearly full 5 Litre Water bottle to the top of the trigger grip leaned over at a high angle.  So about 4.5Kg? The trigger grip I thought was getting a bit creaky but the tripod never budged. Would have posted a photo but had visions of folks wondering who this ?????? was trying to use a water bottle as an optical instrument! 

One thing I like about this type of tripod is that you can adust the legs at different angles and different lengths. So, with a bit of careful experimentation regarding stability, with two legs splayed towards you and one out front, you can effectively sit “in” the tripod. As with any tripod it still does not overcome neck ache issue at high angles but I find it helps a tad. 

As Steve has pointed though - its still possible to use it as a, somewhat heavy, monopod.

Just taken delivery of one of these- ordered on Friday @ 8pm and arrived this morning at 8:30am. Seems like a great value package and very sturdy with my revelation 15x70's. No chance to test it for real with all the rain we're having.....

• 2 weeks later...

After ummimg and aaahing for a while (I mean, HOW good can this rig be for £37 shipped??), I ordered one and tried it last night.

Amazing!!

So solid with my Ten to 20x60s, rock solid and superb views of M42, easily resolving 3 of the Trapezium stars.

Can also double as a monopod.

Highly recommended.

Dave

Having received my tripod i thought id share my view of this set up. I ordered from Amazon and it was with me 3 days later. For the money i think its a great tripod. Having set it up i did notice that the centre column support knob had actually came sheared  :huh: . I could have fixed this with some resin but decided to contact Amazon who issued a full refund and organised a courier to pick it up.

In the mean time i ordered another unit and happily this one was perfect. I did have the Horizon 8115 tripod which was almost 3 times as much but i much prefer this one.

I like the way the legs are locked into position, the height at full extension is excellent and its rock solid with my Apollo 15x70 attached. You also get a nice carry/storage bag to keep it in a cleaning cloth and a led torch key ring  :grin:

An absolute bargain from what i can tell.

Hi Craig

Couldn't agree more, a great buy. Fortunately mine had no problems on first delivery, but I didn't see an LED torch though- I must chech the packaging again when I get home...

I've left my Tento Russian 20x60s set IP on this rig and it is so quick to just grab it from the garage, whip off the objective covers and I'm observing literally within one minute.

Last night had a quick peek at Lyra

..NO false colour on Vega, great sharp view of epsilon lyrae (no split of A & B of course, but very sharp, and the Ring Nebula clearly visible, very small but very distinct at mag 9..

Dave

It is very interesting, and also available on the German amazon site.  Just buying the trigger grip (perhaps not quite the same one) cost 2 euro less than buying the combination with the tripod (49.95 vs 51.95 euro). Throw in a 170cm monopod as well and you pay 69.95. Tempting on the one had, but I doubt I will use the tripod much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael et al

I thought the same as you; would really like to try a decent trigger grip, but have a reasonable tripod already.

However, as I need more height for viewing overhead (is higher declination the correct phrase here?), so I've ordered a Manfrotto 475b and am now wondering what to do until I can save up for a parallelogram mount.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for trigger grip alone (tripod or monopod), or do you prefer a panning video head (my existing is cheaper and fouls the tripod easily)

Thanks all!

The Manfrotto 222 is also very nice. I picked one up on Ebay for £40 in mint condition and use it a lot with the 15x70. That said, the tripod and head Steve linked to above is an absolute steal! (You never know when when a 2nd tripod might come in handy)

I've just ordered the Ravelli branded tripod via Amazon. I must admit that I'd kicked myself earlier for not getting one before they went out of stock.Then re-considered after Steve gave the heads up for the Amazon Basics incarnation.However,£8 difference in price is £8 in my pocket! I look forward to experiencing what all the hoo-ha is about!

Steve and Damo, thanks so much for the feedback, really useful and that combo is incredible value. I wish I could justify another tripod, but just can't (I've only just ordered the manfrotto 475b and have other tripods too!).

So I've ordered one of Steve's trigger grips branded Camlock (elsewhere as I'm also a bit peculiar when it comes to amazon - I think, for a whole variety of reasons, their tax policies are damaging to wider economies, irresponsible and more than a little disingenuous (think of the sale of some uk manufactured goods via uk warehouses sold to the uk market, but declared elsewhere and money filtered via Ireland (which gets relatively little out of the deal), holland, Bermuda etc without paying any reasonable level of tax in any of these jurisdictions, creating a decidedly un-level playing field for more ethical, or smaller, or service oriented organisations. Sometimes cheapest isn't always best .. as we all know well from optics :)

Anyway, I've ordered a couple of Xmas present copies of 'turn left at Orion' elsewhere for that reason too..

How did I get onto that rant?

Ooh, look, skies are clearing here in Cornwall <tries to divert attention from rant above, but secretly glad this year's boycott is gaining momentum as that's the only thing which is likely to change corporate behaviour across multiple tax borders (doh! Done it again!)>

Archived