Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

FLO

Sky-Watcher Stargate 450P Truss-Tube Dobsonian

I'm a little confused about the scratchey-looking circle 2/3 of the way out of the mirror radius. Is that something that would cause a halo effect when looking at bright stars or reduce contrast by scattering light?

I'm a little confused about the scratchey-looking circle 2/3 of the way out of the mirror radius. Is that something that would cause a halo effect when looking at bright stars or reduce contrast by scattering light?

You mean on the disassembled photo on FLO's web site ?.

I took that to be a moulded / contoured transparent plastic mirror cover thats been left on in the photo ?

You mean on the disassembled photo on FLO's web site ?.

I took that to be a moulded / contoured transparent plastic mirror cover thats been left on in the photo ?

John's right, it is a protective cover. It is removed prior to use :smile:

We have received this photo showing the new Stargate 450p mirror's construction (the glass components are fused together in an oven, not glued). 

post-54-0-29871800-1446158340_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Amazing looking thing :smiley:

Amazing looking thing :smiley:

It certainly is.  Very impressive.

James

To me the words "Glass" "Fuse" and "Oven" don't really go together, ovens generally going up to say 250 deg. "Glass" "Fuse" and "Furnace" now, do  :smiley: Given the 1000 deg or more needed  :smiley:

Presumably they fuse it all together before figuring the surface??

I've been looking at this scope and have been in contact with FLO. I may pull the trigger next week as I need another dob that's fairly portable. Any idea when the goto with be available and at what price? Is the 20" rumour true then?

I heard a chap had a problem with the cap, some of the foam came detatched and stuck to the outer edge of the primary. Do you know if this has been addressed by Skywatcher? Chances are they might not be aware of this.

Edited by mert

We haven't hear of that Mert, we intentionally haven't sold any from the first batch so have no user feedback. Perhaps this second batch, with the new mirror, has a different cap. I'll ask when I next speak with them :smile: 

• Like 1

We haven't hear of that Mert, we intentionally haven't sold any from the first batch so have no user feedback. Perhaps this second batch, with the new mirror, has a different cap. I'll ask when I next speak with them :smile:

Thanks.

I spoke with them yesterday, they haven't heard of this situation either.

Do you know if it was a production model or if was it one of the early beta models built for testing? Better still do you have a photo please? 

Steve

Does this mean that there is a batch of large dobs, albeit with a traditional mirror design, that will not be sold at all ?. I'd have thought there might be some sort of market for them as long as the optics are sound and the scopes perform OK ?

Does this mean that there is a batch of large dobs, albeit with a traditional mirror design, that will not be sold at all ?. I'd have thought there might be some sort of market for them as long as the optics are sound and the scopes perform OK ?

I cannot speak for the US market but here in the UK the entire first batch has sold, but not by us. We decided to wait until the second batch with the new mirror. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification Steve :smiley:

Couple of questions, how tall is it to the eyepiece ? does any of it come in a case or just cardboard boxes ?

Dave

Carboard boxes. This video shows them

Edited by mert
  • Like 1

.Thanks for posting the video. I hope that the gentleman putting it together is on the shorter side of average. Otherwise, this is a stepladder job for most of us!

BTW the Russian/Ukranian(?) video which is on the "reccomended" page at the end of the video is far more detailed. Shame I can't speak the language. But we do get a good look at the scop. Can anyone comment on the optics from the test pictures?

Paul

• Like 1

The Russian video is good, there's also a Polish video building the scope.