Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

astrotrac or heq5

dodge23

Evening all,

You've all probably seen a similar topic question, but after much searching i'm still unsure on which way to go.

So here goes...

I will be initially using a DSLR (Nikon D7100) - no telescope at the moment due to budgetary limits (I have a Skyliner 200P dob for observing) and would like to know your views, opinions and any other advice you can give me with the following:

Firstly I was looking at getting the Astrotrac with a geared head, a polar scope and a 12V power pack which will cost approx £690 (I think I have a decent enough tripod and ballhead (manfrotto) but after reading a lot of posts on these damn fine forums I have also been 'swayed' to look at the HEQ5 Pro Synscan. (currently £749 at FLO).

Hence I have a couple of questions.

1.  Would the HEQ5 Syntrek be a better choice (currently at £630 at FLO) for my current needs?

2.  What basic 'extras' would I need for the HEQ5 (both)?

3.  Would there be anything else I require for the Astrotrak set up?

Any help would be appreciated  (I have THE book on order :grin: )

Thanks

Phil

Thank you for the reply auspom.

I've looked through topic and to be truthful my brain has turned to mush (it took me 2 minutes to work out what was wrong with 'Thank you' in the start of this message - one word or two words - its been a long day).

So to try and make my initial post less vague here is the following.

1.  Is the difference between the pro synscan and syntrek 'guiding'

2.  Would I need a polar alignment for the HEQ5

3.  Do I attach the dslr directly to a heq5 using a manfrotto ball head

4.  What power would I require to operate the HEQ5

Apologies to everyone if you seen this all before, I am just looking for some direct answers :grin: ...and i'm impatient regarding THE book!

Thanks once again

Phil

Hi

The only difference between the pro and the syntrek is the pro has a synscan handset. The syntrek can be used in the same way via a computer link and software. You need computer control to do guiding plus you need a separate guide camera. The guide cam needs its own scope. People often use a guide cam attached to a 9 x 50 finder. You need polar alignment whatever you do. How accurate your PA needs to be depends largely on focal length. With a camera and lens it needn't be as accurate as with a scope.

There are various ways to attach a camera. You can simply attach directly via a dovetail bar. I guess you could do it with a ball head which is bolted to a dovetail.

My heq5 runs from a 5A 12V mains adaptor but many people use a Powertank or leisure battery. I'm not sure about the heq5 but I've run an AVX, which is similar, from a cheap 9600mAh lithium ion battery for ~3 hours quite comfortably :)

Hope that helps

Louise

I have both, and both are very capable mounting systems. The AstroTrac fits in my camera bag... the HEQ5 fits in the cupboard under the stairs :D... as a guide to the relative portability of the two systems. This is why I originally got both... at the moment, the HEQ5 is not getting used, as I find it too heavy to carry outside due to a bad back.

You can power the AstroTrac or HEQ 5 from the same power source, so you don't need to concern yourself with that, the power requirements are the same. With the AstroTrac you can run it on AA batteries mind you (don't try that with an HEQ5, unless you have a huge array of them :D). Both need polar alignment. In theory, and I do not plan to test this, both have the same load limit. Both are capable of guiding (I don't have a suitable guide setup for the AT). At short focal lengths, 50mm and below, both mounts will provide you easy 5 minute exposures, with a reasonably careful polar alignment. If you're planning on guiding, then, with the HEQ5, get the Syntrek model.. the mount is identical, but as you'll be wanting to computer control, there's no point paying the extra for the goto handset. 

Either will serve you well, although to be honest, they are really designed for different aspects... I really would not want to try lunar/planetary from the Astrotrac, but with computer control on my HEQ5, it's straightforward (I nearly said easy, but there's no such thing as easy AP :D). Think carefully about your objectives, and make a decision based on that. If you're planning on sticking to wider field imaging, then the AstroTrac will server you very well. If you'd like to get in closer, with a telescope, or do some lunar mosaics, or planetary, then get the HEQ5.

Thanks jgs001 for your reply, with yours and previous replies the clouds (im my brain that is) are beginning to clear a little.

Currently its going to be:

HEQ5 syntrek - more future flexibility, weight is not issue (at the moment) and the total costs to start the mounted astrophotography ball rolling will be approximately the same, please some one tell me different if it isn't.

Still waiting for THE book, as I like to call it.

Phil

I only have the HEQ5 so I can only comment regarding that mount.

I have both the synscan and syntrek handset and don't really use either of them. I control everything via a laptop.

If you are going to use it away from your house/garden it will require power. Many people self build a power pack using leisure batteries etc so head over to the DIY section and have a look?

I use mine in the garden and I use one of these connected to the mains:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/female-cigarette-to-m8-ring-tongues.html

If your going to control it via a laptop then you will need another cable like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

If your going to look at using a telescope for photography in the future then you will find you will have to purchase an EQ mount anyway.

You can also get a second hand HEQ5 mount for a very reasonable price (£450-£550) if your willing to go second hand.

If your main interest will be wide view with just a DSLR, then the astrotrac will be more portable and the better choice imho

Thanks Robp

I'm thinking of future telescope use (see how this progression of astrophotography goes first - already have attempted (to varying degress of success) wide field on a static tripdod - , therfore at the moment i'm just going to concentrate on using the dslr.  As I have already stated I was thinking of the Astrotrak but for the money I needed to lay out (see above) I started to look at the HEQ5 - hence my initial post.

Again the info i've gleaned from yourself and the other posters have/is swaying me to go for the HEQ5 as well as giving me pointers to what else I would need (laptop - got, software (EQMOD - free?), powerpacks, leads etc).

Thank you all for your time and knowledge.

EQMOD is free, I also use Stellarium to navigate the sky (also free!).

I don't attach a DSLR directly to a HEQ5, but I expect you would need a way of doing this via some sort of adapter/dovetail, maybe someone else can step in that has done that before with advice on what you would need?

A lot of people use the HEQ5 for astrophotography and I'm very happy with the results my one has produced using a telescope :smiley:

One thing I would advise before you part with some money is to try and find an astronomy club and see if someone with a HEQ5 or astrotrac would let you have a look and explain some points about it, might help you make a more informed decision?

Thanks Robp

I'm thinking of future telescope use (see how this progression of astrophotography goes first - already have attempted (to varying degress of success) wide field on a static tripdod - , therfore at the moment i'm just going to concentrate on using the dslr.  As I have already stated I was thinking of the Astrotrak but for the money I needed to lay out (see above) I started to look at the HEQ5 - hence my initial post.

Again the info i've gleaned from yourself and the other posters have/is swaying me to go for the HEQ5 as well as giving me pointers to what else I would need (laptop - got, software (EQMOD - free?), powerpacks, leads etc).

Thank you all for your time and knowledge.

Hi again

Yeah I think the main reason for going for an Astrotrac is portability. I think it can only be guided in RA (no DEC motor) so that could be a limitation if you wanted to do long exposure stuff, especially with a scope. Some people do have Astrotracs as second, portable mounts and seem to be pleased with them.

You just need one of these for attaching a dslr/ball head to the heq5 saddle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-Photo-Vixen-Dovetail-with-2-x-1-4-Camera-Screws-and-Allen-Key-/261442494213

If you want to get into DSO AP, it's worth reading this highly recommended book:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Be warned though, once you turn to the dark side it's an expensively slippery slope!

Louise

Thanks once more for the replies and advice.

I'm currently about 1/4 the way through 'Making Every Phoyon Count' which I like to call THE book (it, rightly, appears to be the recommended first port of call for budding astrophotographists(?).

So here's the plan, if all going well, purchase the HEQ5, battery, dove tail, etc, look at other software available (I already have stellarium, which I think is excellent, though I have not compared it to anything else) and try some basic* tracking shots.  Is it possible to 'track' with the standatd HEQ5 or would I need to connect to a computer to do this?

*pfft as if basic is a word that can be used in the pursuit of this hobby :icon_rolleyes:

Then in 12 years or so :grin: look into going the next step and buying a telescope and all the 'gubbins' that is required, any recommendations (evostar 80 ed is around about the price range I will be looking at).  Guiding scope and camera? what is a sufficient 'cheap' set up.

Phil (who was up on kirby moor waiting for the wind to drop below 40 mph and the clouds to clear in an attempt at getting some high iso, short exposure shots but ending up just smokin' tabs!).

Thanks once more for the replies and advice.

I'm currently about 1/4 the way through 'Making Every Phoyon Count' which I like to call THE book (it, rightly, appears to be the recommended first port of call for budding astrophotographists(?).

So here's the plan, if all going well, purchase the HEQ5, battery, dove tail, etc, look at other software available (I already have stellarium, which I think is excellent, though I have not compared it to anything else) and try some basic* tracking shots.  Is it possible to 'track' with the standatd HEQ5 or would I need to connect to a computer to do this?

*pfft as if basic is a word that can be used in the pursuit of this hobby :icon_rolleyes:

Then in 12 years or so :grin: look into going the next step and buying a telescope and all the 'gubbins' that is required, any recommendations (evostar 80 ed is around about the price range I will be looking at).  Guiding scope and camera? what is a sufficient 'cheap' set up.

Phil (who was up on kirby moor waiting for the wind to drop below 40 mph and the clouds to clear in an attempt at getting some high iso, short exposure shots but ending up just smokin' tabs!).

Hi Phil

The heq5 syntrek comes with a simple handset which allows you to slew the mount and track :)

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/190.pdf

Louise

Archived