Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

JGM1971

The "No EQ" DSO Challenge!

I live right next to a naval base and where they are building the new Forth Crossing ( google it) doesn't get much more light polluted.

the LP round here isn't too bad, but it does get noticeable in the images. I used an Astronomic CLS filter, on the ST80 to cut out the LP. It did a great job. I was also using a SemiAPO filter to cut out a lot of the CA that the ST80 suffers from, thus the images look less blue than you'd expect from an unmodified dSLR. My M45 image with this setup really didn't work very well because of that filter... it cut most of the reflection nebula. 

It's actually easier at prime focus. You can use, an in camera clip filter, or a filter that screws into the EP adapter, be it, 1.25" or 2". With the images I posted above, I was using a 1.25" CLS filter.

Assorted shots with a Nexstar 102SLT and a Canon 1000D. 30sec subs at ISO1600. Total exposures range from 5 mins (M20)  to ~1hr (M31).

slt_examples.jpg

NigelM

lovely pics, what AZ mount did you use for these?

I'd have to say no to Barn Doors too, as they still track equatorially. Sorry.

what about eq1's then, Do they count? :smiley:

• Like 2

lovely pics, what AZ mount did you use for these?

All done with one of these

Celestron Nexstar 102SLT

I put tube rings on the OTA to help get the balance point with the camera attached, but the mount is straight out of the box.  Yes, you have to throw some subs away, and binning up the final image is usually a good idea, but it still gives a half decent picture if you get enough total exposure time.

NigelM

Edited by dph1nm
  • Like 2

This is my weapon of choice. Nexstar 6SE, with Canon 600D & 18-200mm lens, on piggyback mount.

Used this to get the M31 image I posted earlier in the thread (also the last clear night I've had)

It was the first time I'd used the piggy back, but as the image showed, it worked fine.

post-19412-0-75904100-1415372722_thumb.j

• Like 2

tapatalk not letting me attach more than 1 image at a time so i thought. all images with the same 300mm lens - stacks of 5sec exposures

407b0f503016adbd20c7f1ebbb793b49.jpg

e6fbdca6c29a58f16ac631b07102bc08.jpg

6a18c9d761aef81b76708e740711c3e2.jpg

Andy

• Like 4

27 seconds, which appears to be the maximum possible with f10 @27 south!

This pic got me hookedpost-36524-0-64091900-1417574307_thumb.j

• Like 8

Just goes to show talent doesn't necessarily need all the bells and whistles. Although I suspect these guys could get acceptable results using an old bird table.

Really impressed with these shots.

What has previously put me off imaging was the complexity of it all and the huge investment in time and money. Not that I'm saying the above shots are easy or that you are going to see me posting pics of DSOs but it something to think over.

Quick M31 tonight.

DSLR piggy backed on Nexstar 6SE.

Nice image... I've been linked this thread as, like you, I refuse to spend the money to change my nexstar 8 mount, so seeing these are very reassuring.

Just a quick question, what ep size did you use on this pic?

Cheers

34 x 30sec subs, no darks, 20 bias (was intending to to 100 subs, but battery ran out - school boy error!)

That awkward moment where peoples shots with AZ mounts put your images that you took with your with a HEQ5 to shame..  :Envy:  :lipsrsealed:  :eek:

• Like 4

Loving the images in this thread great evidence of whats possible without tracking/guiding, well done to everybody who has contributed.   :icon_salut:

• Like 1

Takes time and patience, but there is no reason why a smaller budget can't get anyone an opportunity to take some images. I've since sold my 200px and "upgrades" to an AVX mount nt and 100ED. It'll be interesting to see if I get as good results.

nexstar6 se, canon 1100d, 358subs 15s cant remember how many darks or bias but no flats, iso 3200

post-31022-0-50978000-1425125498.jpg

332 subs 15s  cant remember how many darks or bias, no flats, iso 3200

15s subs cant remeber the details on this 1

post-31022-0-76426000-1425127888_thumb.j

and my attempt at m31, same kit but with added FR , 133 subs 20s, darks bias and flats this time, iso 1600

post-31022-0-05599000-1425128062_thumb.j

post-31022-0-22463100-1425128766_thumb.j

• Like 13

They are very inspirational, just need the patience to take lots lots of subs reading what you did.

Keyser - that makes me feel more confident in astrophotography (thank goodness!) My kit will be similar to yours.... once I get the camera back

Keyser, I'm sorry but I'm fairly new at all this, I did look to in the abbreviations post but no luck, could you tell me what subs, FR, darks, bias and flats mean?

• Like 1

Subs are individual photos

FR is focal reducer

As for darks bias n flats u would be better off searching this forum and google they are very well covered and will give a better explanation than me ( I'm still pretty much a newb still myself)

• Like 1