Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

JGM1971

The "No EQ" DSO Challenge!

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

I also had to re focus last night, not sure what caused it, luckily only about 10 frames were lost before I noticed. 

I did however use flats with great result, much better images to work with. As my pc is only about 10 ft away from the scope, I pointed the scope at a white screen and shot away.

I'm pleased with the result using flats but still room for improvement. 

First the Owl nebula and neighbouring galaxy 80 x 30s at 1600 iso, 50 dark, 20 flat, 50 bias. Scope 150p. 

Second, Black eye galaxy 90 x 30s plus the above.  I am currently stacking the Ring nebula 54 frames.

Nige.

PSX_20160430_144719.jpg

PSX_20160430_145143.jpg

 

Gosh you have been busy Nigel, and well rewarded too! Nice sharp stars and plenty of colour.

I'd hoped to get some more subs on the Black Eye, but I think my chance has gone now, because I'm limited to about 50 degrees altitude with my mount. And last night's clear sky rather crept up on me and I didn't have the stamina to set up late in the evening. Hoping for some opportunity this evening.

Ian

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21 April 2016 at 16:33, Nigel G said:

The tube rings arrived,  the mount seems to be up for it, I have set the scope upside down so the camera acts as a tiny bit of counterweight.  

I think I will align with the 150 then swap to the 200 and correct the alignment.  You know it's going to be cloudy this evening though ☺1

20160421_162314.jpg

Nige.

Is this the Star Discovery mount? I was wondering if this would take my F5 200p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Is this the Star Discovery mount? I was wondering if this would take my F5 200p

Yes it is, recommended max weight is 5kg so be careful, I set the mount and align with my 150 scope find my target and swap scopes to the 200p, I wouldn't like to slew high speed with the 8" F6.  I will only use the 200p on vary rare occasions for faint nebula or galaxy and has to be we'll balanced.

Nige.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ring nebula 54x30s and same as previous images.

big crop to try and get this little dso slightly bigger which shows when zoomed in, might try with a barlow next time.

I'm enjoying this learning and improving bit by bit, for now I don't need to get eq mount, I think there's much much more to learn with what I have now. As I  may have said before, I am way beyond my expectations, after reading books like "making every photon count " which quotes, you must have an eq mount, guiding scope and camera to image dso's. 

They might not be hubble spec images but our images are not blooming bad for alt az mounts, keep it up guys. ☺

Nige.

PSX_20160430_160750.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

The ring nebula 54x30s and same as previous images.

big crop to try and get this little dso slightly bigger which shows when zoomed in, might try with a barlow next time.

I'm enjoying this learning and improving bit by bit, for now I don't need to get eq mount, I think there's much much more to learn with what I have now. As I  may have said before, I am way beyond my expectations, after reading books like "making every photon count " which quotes, you must have an eq mount, guiding scope and camera to image dso's. 

They might not be hubble spec images but our images are not blooming bad for alt az mounts, keep it up guys. ☺

Nige.

 

Another very nice capture Nige! You must be up well into the early hours, well past my bedtime :icon_biggrin:.

I couldn't agree with you more, and it is indeed a myth that you need a lot of expensive gear to do astrophotography. I think that to advise folk who want to start AP that this is necessarily so, is doing a great disservice to our hobby. There is so much to learn about the subject, as I'm finding out, before one even ventures into the realms of polar aligning, drift aligning, guiding, etc.

Anyway, I'll get orf me soapbox now!

Ian

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

The ring nebula 54x30s and same as previous images.

big crop to try and get this little dso slightly bigger which shows when zoomed in, might try with a barlow next time.

I'm enjoying this learning and improving bit by bit, for now I don't need to get eq mount, I think there's much much more to learn with what I have now. As I  may have said before, I am way beyond my expectations, after reading books like "making every photon count " which quotes, you must have an eq mount, guiding scope and camera to image dso's. 

They might not be hubble spec images but our images are not blooming bad for alt az mounts, keep it up guys. ☺

Nige.

PSX_20160430_160750.jpg

Hi nige seen some of your pics very nice I too am very new to astronomy AP I believe you've got the same set up as me I've got sky watcher 150 p azt/alt mount with a canon 1200d .Am I correct is this the same as yours ?

 

alas I'm lacking a laptop to process my pics at the moment what I wanted to ask was I use t thread with a 2x Barlow do you use a Barlow or just prime how do you attach your canon to scope ?? 

I've only got iPad so can't process pics so not taking lots like people are saying just take single shots play about with them in photo shop but I'm loving some of the pics I've seen on here really amazing .

 

heres one of mine don't laugh singe shotimage.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Nige, on the subject of using a Barlow, I've been having a mental disussion with myself, and that is, will there be any benefit? On the one hand, you'll reduce the number of photons per pixel, which in term means more noise and therefore more exposure becomes necessary. Then, if you are already over-sampling (i.e. you've got a lot of pixels per star, with its size broadening due to seeing), will you get any higher resolution. Couple that with the magnification of mount movement. So all in all, I'm not sure. In fact I had planned to run a test the next time I image, as long as I've time available in the schedule.

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Oh Nige, on the subject of using a Barlow, I've been having a mental disussion with myself, and that is, will there be any benefit? On the one hand, you'll reduce the number of photons per pixel, which in term means more noise and therefore more exposure becomes necessary. Then, if you are already over-sampling (i.e. you've got a lot of pixels per star, with its size broadening due to seeing), will you get any higher resolution. Couple that with the magnification of mount movement. So all in all, I'm not sure. In fact I had planned to run a test the next time I image, as long as I've time available in the schedule.

Ian

I use a Barlow when taking my pics I'm new to this myself not really sure how to use my camera as prime like I hear other people saying I use my Barlow attached to my tiring attached to camera then scope but haven't worked out how to attach camera with out Barlow .Ive tried using the 2x Barlow with out the lens attached but couldn't reach focus , does the mean I need an extension or am I just being stupid here any advice be warmly received ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Trade007 said:

Hi nige seen some of your pics very nice I too am very new to astronomy AP I believe you've got the same set up as me I've got sky watcher 150 p azt/alt mount with a canon 1200d .Am I correct is this the same as yours ?

 

alas I'm lacking a laptop to process my pics at the moment what I wanted to ask was I use t thread with a 2x Barlow do you use a Barlow or just prime how do you attach your canon to scope ?? 

I've only got iPad so can't process pics so not taking lots like people are saying just take single shots play about with them in photo shop but I'm loving some of the pics I've seen on here really amazing .

 

heres one of mine don't laugh singe shotimage.jpeg

That's very good for a single shot. 

Yes the same setup. I attach the camera at prime focus.  I had to modify the focuser to get close enough travel.  I have posted on SGL how I modified the focuser  It's not that difficult but you need the right bits, alternatively buy a new suitable focuser,  expensive though. If you want more info on the focuser problem if you have it send me a PM.

Nige.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Lee test his nice GSO focuser to see if a dslr reached focus with it (it's the same mount/tube)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Trade007 said:

I use a Barlow when taking my pics I'm new to this myself not really sure how to use my camera as prime like I hear other people saying I use my Barlow attached to my tiring attached to camera then scope but haven't worked out how to attach camera with out Barlow .Ive tried using the 2x Barlow with out the lens attached but couldn't reach focus , does the mean I need an extension or am I just being stupid here any advice be warmly received ?

Your certainly not being stupid, I had the same trouble.  The SD 150p will not focus the Canon 1200d at prime focus.although you can attach for prime. You need to shorten the focuser and make a bush to fit the t ring. You cannot buy the bush, I  made it from a plastic pipe fitting. You get better images at prime as well.

Nige.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

Your certainly not being stupid, I had the same trouble.  The SD 150p will not focus the Canon 1200d at prime focus.although you can attach for prime. You need to shorten the focuser and make a bush to fit the t ring. You cannot buy the bush, I  made it from a plastic pipe fitting. You get better images at prime as well.

Nige.

If I use your method take 3 1/4" of focuses tube will I need to adapt my t ring with the same plastic ring you made ? What does the new plastic ring do ? I understand getting the camera closer to achieve focus 

 

im going out tonight hopefully if I attach my trying to my 1200d do I just attach that straight to the focus tube ? I was using my Barlow with and with out the lens fitted at the end but always with the Barlow tube attached and slid into the focuses tube lol 

but now I'm thinking I'm having a stupid moment ha ha so I can fix my camera straight on my scope with just the t ring no Barlow tube ?? Ha ha ha 

is my thinking right there nige ?? 

 

I got got some pics of space station the other day well chuffed with em even Thoe I can't process them I'm same as you been great fun learning seeing things 

dont laugh lolimage.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trade007 said:

Sorry about some words been changed trying means t ring dam iPad 

To attach camera direct to focuser simply screw t ring to focuser. If you have a nose piece on the t ring unscrew it off first.

The adapter I made, I unscrew the end of the focuser  ( the black part with the 2 ep lock screws on) then push the adapter on to the draw tube. A tolerance fit, not threaded. 

Nige.

20160202_131925.jpg

20160202_132721.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of these that attaches to my T ring.

It's called a T mount.

link here

Edited by happy-kat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I have one of these that attaches to my T ring.

It's called a T mount.

link 

Unfortunately the S/Discovery 150p that is to long. The t ring will screw directly onto the draw tube but that is still not enough, the focuser has to be modified or replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I have one of these that attaches to my T ring.

It's called a T mount.

link here

Cheers Kat so I'd use the t mount instead of making the one nige did ? So I could buy that reduce my focus tube by 1/4 inch take eye piece holder of I can reach focus .I thinks that's right ?? Cheers for the help nige Kat ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Oh Nige, on the subject of using a Barlow, I've been having a mental disussion with myself, and that is, will there be any benefit? On the one hand, you'll reduce the number of photons per pixel, which in term means more noise and therefore more exposure becomes necessary. Then, if you are already over-sampling (i.e. you've got a lot of pixels per star, with its size broadening due to seeing), will you get any higher resolution. Couple that with the magnification of mount movement. So all in all, I'm not sure. In fact I had planned to run a test the next time I image, as long as I've time available in the schedule.

Ian

Some good points there Ian, definitely worth playing around with. Up to now I have had best results at prime focus , with a barlow tracking defects are also magnified.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Trade007 said:

Cheers Kat so I'd use the t mount instead of making the one nige did ? So I could buy that reduce my focus tube by 1/4 inch take eye piece holder of I can reach focus .I thinks that's right ?? Cheers for the help nige Kat ??

I'm afraid that still won't reach focus by about 3/8 of an inch 8-9mm. The eye piece holder part of the focuser has to be removed then the t ring connected to the remaining draw tube which is where the home made bush comes in. Notice in the photo of the camera connected to the scope,  the t ring is right up to the focus adjuster wheel , try and get that close.

Edited by Nigel G
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nigel G said:

I'm afraid that still won't reach focus by about 3/8 of an inch 8-9mm. The eye piece holder part of the focuser has to be removed then the t ring connected to the remaining draw tube which is where the home made bush comes in.

I think I'm getting it now I don't have a back garden to go to so have to travel couple miles to dark site so as a result I keep scope and everything in my car so after I've been out tonight I'll bring scope back indoors so I can have a proper look at it tomorrow work out what I need to do .Now I realise why some my pics ain't looked great it's because I was using Barlow 2x which was ok for short exposures but no good for longer .Cheers for the knowledge I feel stupid now ha ha my excuse I haven't been doing it 6 months yet 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The t ring and t mount I have the neck thickness is approx 11mm is that thicker then what you have made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trade007 said:

I think I'm getting it now I don't have a back garden to go to so have to travel couple miles to dark site so as a result I keep scope and everything in my car so after I've been out tonight I'll bring scope back indoors so I can have a proper look at it tomorrow work out what I need to do .Now I realise why some my pics ain't looked great it's because I was using Barlow 2x which was ok for short exposures but no good for longer .Cheers for the knowledge I feel stupid now ha ha my excuse I haven't been doing it 6 months yet 

Check the photo of my camera attached to the scope, you need it that close, t ring up to the focus adjuster wheel.  It's all a learning experience ☺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have made an album for the modifications needed to be made. If you want an adapter made I can knock another up at the cost of the t ring and p&p

Nige.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

I have made an album for the modifications needed to be made. If you want an adapter made I can knock another up at the cost of the t ring and p&p

Nige.

 

Alright nige ye I've just checked my scope I know what you mean now I wouldn't have anything to knock that up but I'll take you up on that offer if you let me know how much it will cost Defoe up for that Thoe . That would mean me just take 1/4 inch of my focus tube that's right ain't it ? 

 

I was was thinking about a way round that problem as I couldn't think what I could use what do you think would happen if I took 1/4 inch of focus tube but also the length of the knuckle of the eye piece holder then I wouldn't need the plastic adaption then or do you think that would be to much to take of the focus tube 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just got what you mean now but cutting 1/4 inch of tube I thought it was the silver tube I realise you mean of the black tube going in the scope lol it's lot easier when the scopes in front of me .Send me a pm when your about to arrange this cheers for this as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.