Narrowband

The "No EQ" DSO Challenge!

JGM1971

This is a great thread, here's my effort

Picture1

Taken years ago with a meade etx 70 and a film slr (remember them :tongue: ) Second time this pic has been in the public eye - a certain national astro mag put it in their readers photo section 10 years ago!
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

This thread needs to keep on living! I'm going to be buying my first Astrophotography setup soon and I really dont want to lug around a huge EQ6 wiht the weights. Im looking at an Orion ED80 or Explore Scientific ED80 and these posts are helping me consider which mount would be best for a grab and go setup!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a great thread, particularly when I use my AZ4-90mm refractor set up more than my hefty 150mm/EQ5.  I'm hoping to try and get some DSO's this summer, any tips for my little setup? Would love to contribute to this thread sometime soon. Details in signature. Thanks, Nat xx

• 2 weeks later...

oops!

Canon 600D attached to my Nexstar 6SE.

ISO 6400, for 20secs. That's about the max I can get without star trailing, although I took about 20 shots of both targets and these were the best of the bunch.

No flats, darks or bias frames subtracted from either, but I ran them through Photoshop to sharpen a bit and tweak levels.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

M53 Globular Cluster & the Leo Triplet.

Single Light frames taken while experimenting under the dark skies of the Lake District, UK.

It's actually M3, not M53. My bad! Need to start an observing log, as the memory is getting a bit rusty.

• 2 months later...

Amazing thread, I've been engrossed with all that I've seen and as a newbie this is full of useful information for me.

I'm looking to buy a Celestron NexStar 130 SLT, Canon EOS 1200D, T-Adapter (with integral Barlow lens) and T-Ring. Is that enough to get me going with a basic astrophotography setup or am I missing something obvious like a filter?

Many thanks

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Amazing thread, I've been engrossed with all that I've seen and as a newbie this is full of useful information for me.

I'm looking to buy a Celestron NexStar 130 SLT, Canon EOS 1200D, T-Adapter (with integral Barlow lens) and T-Ring. Is that enough to get me going with a basic astrophotography setup or am I missing something obvious like a filter?

Many thanks

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the barlow so you can achieve focus on the 130? I've been using the SLT mount with a cheapo travelscope 70 and canon 1100d and have good fun with it. With a £2000+ setup you expect to get good images, with a £200 one, you don't and if you manage to get something then its a bonus! I've got young kids so I'd never have time to get out a heq5 and polar align etc, I have 30 mins to an hour at most.

Edited by jimbo747
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am so glad this thread was started.

I don't have the kinda money for a good EQ.

I just got a T5 about a month ago and here's some of my best so far.

The Scorpion, M52, one of my favorites.

M52

-Canon T5

-Piggybacked on Celestron ALTAZ GOTO
-9x15" ISO3200 @ 300mm
-Western North Carolina, USA

-Bortle Scale=2
M33, Triangulum.

M33.2

-Canon T5
-Piggybacked on Celestron ALTAZ GOTO
-8x15" ISO6400 @ 300mm

-Bortle Scale=2
...and of course Andromeda.

M31

-Canon T5
-Celestron Starseeker 80 f/5
-Celestron ALTAZ GOTO
-13x20" ISO3200 @ 500mm
-Bortle Scale=2
  • Like 1

When I posted my thread "Messing about with M31" I had no idea of the existence of this excellent thread and the superb work already achieved with 'lowly' gear. Having read the thread "To stack or not to stack: 30 x 1s = 1 x 30s?" by Martin Meredith on 28 May I can see that there is great potential to be had with stacking of short duration subs. OK, I guess at the end of the day, there is no substitute for photons, and that means aperture and time, so we might not be able to see the faintest of detail, but hey, we can still get a good way along the quality scale :biggrin: . Keep 'em coming.

Ian

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting to see so many diverse images!

This is my M31 image taken with a ST102, Skywatcher Alt/AZ GOTO mount and unmodified 1000D.

Over 400 25 sec subs making up 2 hours 29 mins of data with 20 darks and 30 flats. Stacked in DSS and processed in CS2.

post-4016-0-15424700-1444079375_thumb.pn

• Like 14