Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

JGM1971

The "No EQ" DSO Challenge!

stupid post deleted 🙂

Where is the delete button?!

Edited by calli
Stupidness.

I think it's the processing as I just guess at things for now. I'm stuck in the light polluted back yard for now so I just shoot jpeg and go through astrotoaster. As soon as I can get to darker skies I'm going to put a proper unrushed effort in.  

Also using the jpeg for now as my laptop struggles with raw on astrotoaster, but I will be going down the raw route when I can get out and do it. 

9 hours ago, Manners2020 said:

Also using the jpeg for now as my laptop struggles with raw on astrotoaster, but I will be going down the raw route when I can get out and do it. 

have you tried deepskystacker? what extension (Ie .NEF .CR2) do your RAW's have? DSS should not have any problems with most RAW's.

13 hours ago, Manners2020 said:

Jpeg doesn't really cut it when you come to astro imaging. Being only 8 bit, they fall apart too readily with the stretching that is required. RAWs are the way to go, and as LOL221 says, DSS is a capable freeware that you should be able to run. If your laptop can run in 64 bit, then the 64 bit version of DSS would be preferable. But in any event, the processing won't be quick and letting it do its thing, even if it takes half an hour or more, so go off and have a coffee!

Ian

Oh I know. This is just my tempory. Method. Raws are fine on my laptop it's just the raws  through astrotoaster. It would be quicker if I sketched every exposure. This is just my temp way until I can get out. I dont even know what this is called what I'm doing. I believe it was created for eaa but how I use it is something  I'm between eaa and ap?? I dont know but I like it.

Edited by Manners2020

1 hour ago, Manners2020 said:

Oh I know. This is just my tempory. Method. Raws are fine on my laptop it's just the raws  through astrotoaster. It would be quicker if I sketched every exposure. This is just my temp way until I can get out. I dont even know what this is called what I'm doing. I believe it was created for eaa but how I use it is something  I'm between eaa and ap?? I dont know but I like it.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

Try it!

Ian

If you want to live stack, DSS can do that, but Sharpcap is very good.

This is a live stack of 16 second frames produced in Sharpcap, then tweaked later:

1920827568_M27withASI120MC.thumb.png.d3c78eee0eada937f06dd107b21f3b76.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you want to live stack, DSS can do that, but Sharpcap is very good.

This is a live stack of 16 second frames produced in Sharpcap, then tweaked later:

1920827568_M27withASI120MC.thumb.png.d3c78eee0eada937f06dd107b21f3b76.png

Is sharpcap recognizing dslrs  now?

8 hours ago, Manners2020 said:

That looks like a guide I could follow

There can be a lot of fun getting DSS to work as you want it but the guides are, 'out there'. Star Tools (ST) will repay investment in time spent with it. The great thing about astro-photography is that as you progress with experience you can go back to earlier attempts and redo them.

Good luck whichever route you decide to follow and do keep posting!

Cheers,
Steve

13 hours ago, Manners2020 said:

Is sharpcap recognizing dslrs  now?

Ahh... that was with a ZWO 120MC