Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups.thumb.jpg.88a09e422111459fcea8be71befc7874.jpg

JGM1971

The "No EQ" DSO Challenge!

Another clear night on Friday (although round about 2am it got really really cold) and thought i’d Snap the Dumbbell Nebula with my 300p dob with goto. Details stretched with Lightroom mobile (btw if you don’t have it Lightroom, get it!!!)

80E43C5F-8654-4514-A55D-ECD0ACA57CD1.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, susan-parker said:

From the 15th May (at 21:55 GMT), stars below Libra.
Spica middle top, y-Hydra middle bottom, and Kraz (from Corvus) bottom left.
Stack of 9 shots... hand held.
Colours are "interesting" from the Bayer interpolation and levels boosting.
Two images: full frame scaled to 1800 pix wide, and a 1to1 pixel crop from the centre of the original frame (63 Virgo, 61 Virgo, and HIP 65183 making a triangle in the center); plus full frame 16bpc TIFF file.
Processed in Photoshop.
Each pixel is c. 12 arc-seconds. Stars visable down to magnitude 10.
Nikon D800 with Nikkor 85mm f/2.0 at f/2.8, 9 x 2.5 seconds, ISO 800. IDAS D1.

180515-stack9frames-Spica+y-Hydra+Kraz-stars-1c-1800.jpg

180515-stack9frames-Spica+y-Hydra+Kraz-stars-1c-crop-1800x1800.jpg

180515-stack9frames-Spica+y-Hydra+Kraz-stars-1c.tif

Maybe because of my poor english I don't understand that. So, you take 2,5 second expositions only with hand, without stativ about the stars and they does not move? 

18 hours ago, lnlarxg said:

Another clear night on Friday (although round about 2am it got really really cold) and thought i’d Snap the Dumbbell Nebula with my 300p dob with goto. Details stretched with Lightroom mobile (btw if you don’t have it Lightroom, get it!!!)

Very nice picture! I try also tonight the M27, I just pray for clear sky. I had an effort with my 8" SCT at last sunday, with my Huawei P10 monochrome, but I want to see the colors of this object now.

IMG_20180514_011616.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smisy said:

Maybe because of my poor english I don't understand that. So, you take 2,5 second expositions only with hand, without stativ about the stars and they does not move? 

I hand held the camera above my head, placed against a window frame. Then take multiple shots on tip-toes trying not to breath too much.

It mostly works (but not always), either because my hands slip or shake a bit, or a train is going passed.

A tripod would be better, but the opening in the window is high up and not very large, and my current tripod can't be placed to be used as the angle of the legs won't work.

I can remove a number of boxes from the window ledge, and setup something with a tracking mount; but that is for a proper session which takes time to set up, conduct, and clear away.

However these images are moments of oppertunity as in I look out of the window later on at night and if I see a chance of an image I take as many pictures as possible whilst my partner is brushing their teath!

Hello smicey.  How do you manage to get such good alignment with your phone and scope? I've tried 3 different brackets and wasted a lot of time which  could have been spent viewing before I bought a dslr.  The one out of the three I had most success  with  was still far from good. 

At last night I tried to get some color. But my color camera is not so sensitive, like my monochrome. Anyway here are the pictures. I used a Baader moon and skyglow filter, because of the light pollution. The two birds are Swan and Eagle, on last picture is Lagoon. 

Messier 17-1536x1536.jpg

Messier 16.jpg

Messier 8.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Manners2020 said:

Hello smicey.  How do you manage to get such good alignment with your phone and scope? I've tried 3 different brackets and wasted a lot of time which  could have been spent viewing before I bought a dslr.  The one out of the three I had most success  with  was still far from good. 

Hello! I think, it strongly depend on your phones possibility, what you can do with the telescope. I have good manual options on my Huawei P10. Must to know, its working good only with my 25mm eyepiece, because of the angle of the light, what comes out from the eyepiece. Try with more eyepiece or with barlow/focal reducer, maybe it helps.