SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first quick attempt at M42

ElijahB

Hi All,

Haven't been on here in a while, new jobs, etc, etc .... won't bore you with all the details. Anyway glad to be back and thought I would post up my first ever attempt at M42.

I didn't spend much time on it as I didn't have much .... I'm also typing this at work so I'm relying on memory rather than hard facts... but here goes:

The shot was compiled of 8 images of 20 seconds exposure at ISO 1600 (could have been 800 but am fairly certain it wasn't).

Camera used was a Canon 350D at Prime focus F10, Scope is a Celestron CPC 800. Stacked the images using RegiStax.

Un-Processed Stacked Image:

4336_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

My Attempt at processing it in PhotoShop:

4337_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The I handed it to one of the members at my local club ... who clearly showed how poor my Photoshop skills really are :wink: :

4345_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

If anyone wants the TIFF file to have a go themselves, you can download it here: http://www.axvg31.dsl.pipex.com/Orion_Nebula.tif

All feedback, good or bad, is always welcome.

Cheers :occasion5:

Not at all bad for a first attempt Elijah! See Martin's topic above to see other first attempts.

Imaging at prime focus on a SCT is pretty tricky anyway, so the end result is very creditable.

cheers

Mark

That's good for a first attempt! Although this is a very popular object to image, it is not that easy to get right because of the difference in brightness between the Trapezium area and the outer filamentary region - you have a achieved a fair balance with the individual stars of the Trapezium clearly visible.

Thanks all .... after I saw the results that buried in the picture, I just wish now that a) I'd spent more time taking the images and :) my Photoshop skills were a lot better. Then I wouldn't need the help to pull out all the detail (as can be seen from the 3rd image).

Still, knowing that the detail is in there, I now have some benchmarks to aim for :)

Thanks again...... oh, just had a look at the weather report for the weekend and ................. :wink:

Archived