SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion Eyepiece with f/5 dobsonian??

Nathan32

Hello,

I have had a Zhumell Z10 dobsonian for about a year now and love it.  I don't, however, have a nice medium range eyepiece. After doing some research i like what i see about the baader hyperions. I think i would get the 17mm because of the unique option to add rings which decrease the focal length.  I am on a budget at around $150 as well.

My only concern is that i see people write about how the eyepeices perform differently at different focal ratios. from what is understand my telesecope is fast at f/5 and that has the possibility to reduce the quality of the eyepiece?  Just wondering if anyone out there has had experience with these eyepieces with a scope similar to mine?

Here's a link to the eyepiece on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Baader-Hyperion-Eyepiece-HYP-17-2454617/dp/B0045IVGIS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1413955944&sr=8-6&keywords=baader+hyperion+eyepiece

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,

Nathan

I won (!) a 10mm Hyperion - but in both my f/5 and f/4.7 scopes, it is not good. It shows a lot of coma. I actually tried all of the 5/10/17 and 24mm ones, and none of them were as good as the much cheaper eyepieces I already had. I'd recommend avoiding in a scope of that speed.

In my little solar scope, which is f/12 ish, they were fine - a nice eyepiece actually. 

I find the eyepieces branded "BST Starguiders" over here in the UK much more acceptable, and much cheaper. (I'm not sure what they're branded as in the US of A, but I think they're available). I've also got a Maxvision 28mm, which is also a 68 degree eyepiece, but works fairly well in my f/4.7 dob. I'm not sure how available those are in the US, but if you can lay your mitts on them, I'd choose them over the hyperion any day.

Hi, my experience of Baader Hyperions at f/5 is not very good, they go soft at the edges.  If it was me I would consider something else.  Like Andy above, I would go for the Astro Tech Paradigms (the same ep as the BST StarGuiders), which work very well at f/5. The MaxVisions will also work well.  If I were you I would also buy any astronomy gear from a dedicated astronomy retailer direct.

The Explore Scientific range has similar eyepieces which do perform well at least to f5 as tested. Just throwing it out there as another option. The 16mm is close enough to the 17mm you propose and will perform much better.

Of course, you cannot use rings to alter the FL, but I would rather have better quality views than the ability to change FL on an eyepiece that generally has received mediocre reviews.

Not meaning to trash out Baader. Their aspheric range at larger focal lengths is excellent really.

Hi, my experience of Baader Hyperions at f/5 is not very good, they go soft at the edges.  If it was me I would consider something else.  Like Andy above, I would go for the Astro Tech Paradigms (the same ep as the BST StarGuiders), which work very well at f/5. The MaxVisions will also work well.  If I were you I would also buy any astronomy gear from a dedicated astronomy retailer direct.

I have the 8mm & 13mm Baader Hyperions & they work fine on my Lyra F11 refractor.  Not so good with my Skywatcher 200P F5.   Some good advice here.

Thank you so much for all the replies and advice.  I am definitely looking at other options now, not the baaders.  I am considering the explore scientific now and will definitely do some more research.  Are there any more suggestions or experience with eyepieces and a 10 inch f/5 dobsonian like mine? I'm trying to keep it within range of $150.

All the replies are greatly appreciated! Saved me $140 thanks to you guys!

Regards,

Nathan

From what I've been able to discern, the issue is the wide-field of 68-degrees from the Hyperions. An F/5 scope is nearly a Rich-Field instrument and seems not to appreciate being more of one. Ditto with my F/4. So I'd be looking for an EP with a narrower FOV. The Plossl suggestion is a sound one. The Aspheric Baader's sound good as well.

If you find something great that works with your F/5, please post a report.

Clear Skies,

Dave

From what I've been able to discern, the issue is the wide-field of 68-degrees from the Hyperions. An F/5 scope is nearly a Rich-Field instrument and seems not to appreciate being more of one. Ditto with my F/4. So I'd be looking for an EP with a narrower FOV. The Plossl suggestion is a sound one. The Aspheric Baader's sound good as well.

If you find something great that works with your F/5, please post a report.

Clear Skies,

Dave

I respectfully disagree as it depends if the eyepiece is corrected for aberrations at any given focal ratio.

The low focal length Hyperions aren't. The Explore Scientific for example are, so you get the full 68 degrees AFOV.

But I do agree with you that the "humble" Plossl is a very good overall eyepiece, limited by its narrow FOV.

Thank you so much for all the replies and advice.  I am definitely looking at other options now, not the baaders.  I am considering the explore scientific now and will definitely do some more research.  Are there any more suggestions or experience with eyepieces and a 10 inch f/5 dobsonian like mine? I'm trying to keep it within range of $150.

All the replies are greatly appreciated! Saved me $140 thanks to you guys!

Regards,

Nathan

The ES range is your best bet for the money. Premium performance at reasonable cost. Even though I use Televue, had Explore Scientific manufactured its current lineup about 4 years ago, I would have gone with ES instead of TV.

The value for money and performance of these eyepieces make them hard to beat.

Hi,

I have a Hyp which I use for planetary with my 10" F4.7 Dob. & as planet in centre the edges are not an issue BUT at c.17mm  as others have said, it's not the right one for you. 

I have the 24mm Maxxvision which is fantastic for the money & would jump at the 16mm if it were not for the fact I wear glasses and the Eye Relief on it is marginal for me.  If you don't observe wearing glasses that's what I'd recommend you consider.

Thank you for all the advice. I just ordered the explore scientific 68 degree 16mm eyepiece and I'm very excited for it. If I remember I will reply after a few nights of use and let you guys know how it goes with my dob.

Many thanks to you all!

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...

You got excellent advice.  One note, though: the Hyperions work very well at f/5 when the f/5 is used with a coma corrector.  The mild field flattening, plus the removal of all coma, leaves only very minor astigmatism at the edge.  It's my observation, though, that few Hyperion purchasers are using a coma corrector, given that they cost more than 2 Hyperions (or 3 in some cases).

Archived