Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Updating Firmware for Celestron AVX

I would say I have spent hours over many firmware updates...basically , the CELESTRON FIrmware updater is a crock..it never goes well from one time to the next. I swear I will not do any more ! Once started it becomes a battle of the Wills . I doubt they add much...usually more languages rather than more astronomy.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did an update yesterday. I have a new laptop now and had a few issues but, once I had the corrrect serial cable driver installed, it worked no problem at all. I can't understand why we have to use a serial cable in this day and age - what's wrong with a USB cable?

Peter

From my experience with USB to RS232 converters, the only ones with no problems for astronomy are those with a FTDI chipset. I think the 'dedicated' converter from Celestron uses the Prolific chip set, or another cheap substitute.

Waldemar

Archived