Narrowband

Updating Firmware for Celestron AVX

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is your computer system?

See below for my problems with Celestron Firmware Manager.

4th Oct had a response 17 and 16 from my Celestron 925 AVX, probably due to handset connection becoming slightly dislodged. Unfortunately have been unable to get the Celestron Firmware Manager working in order to attempt reflashing.
Summary of what happens and attempts to solve it.

Downloaded CFM from your web site version 1_7.4125 - several times on both computers, see below.

Windows 7 32bit home premium comes up with the CFM opening screen and immediately with a Java exception - Browser Firefox though this shouldn't be relevant to the running of the program.

Windows 7 Starter opens the screen then flashes off - Browser IE

Java versions updates on both computers says latest version installed, as is the Anti-virus and Windows updates, etc. Altering security on Java to lowest available has no effect.

Whole scans done on both computers - both clean.
Also tried on a desktop XP which gives a Java exception - browser Firefox - Java 65.
I note that the last Java update 67 was Aug 4th, the CFM on Aug 20th.
Oct 13th - new Java update 71 on their version 8.  Same results.

HI,

I had to update my handset as it corrupted recently. I assume you have downloaded the latest update manager (as the one you initially download is out of date (even though it said it was the latest)). I had problems before it did that. Then I set-up and told it what mount type GEM or Alt AZ in the Nester+ menu (So I selected GEM of course). It then trundled off and worked like a treat. The version it updates to appears to be CFM_1.9.4200

Not sure if that helps or not.

I also use a Mac, though i did this before I update to Yosemite.

Thanks Steve,

It has answered one question I think. You can use a MAC to update the mount. I assume it is the same even though you have a Nexstar and I have an AVX. I will try a different usb to serial cable. Did you have to download any drivers for your MAC?

Simon

I have the AVX. the Nexstar+ is just the hand controller type. When you fire up make sure the app is allowed to search for updates. you might want to check the version you have got vs the one I mentioned above. It does work though.

might be worth taking a pic of your set-up. I seem to recall there being a set of USB to serial that are ok...others don't work. I go this one of Amazon (UK):

trendnet international TU-S9 - USB to Serial Converter

No worries. sorry about that> I should have added this stuff as well...have you read any of it?

It needs to be programmed using the Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM).

Please go to this link for the instructions:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2584

Here is information on the USB-RS232 cable you need:

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1698

Here is information on the other cable you need:

http://www.celestron.com/science_education/cable-nexstar-rs-232.html

Updated 12/27/13 

this is to deal with the boot loader error I got. still means flashing the controller though.

Lol...yes it does need to be sorted out. Let me know how you get on though, and I will set my one up as well to go through it if you continue having problems. As I said, it might be worth confirming your CFM version as well.

Good luck matey.

Thanks for your help. As you said, I needed to download the latest version earlier as the one I had downloaded previously didn't work. I also needed to update the Java as well. Hopefully it is just a cable issue. I'll see how I do with a new cable.

Simon

Simon,

No I just had the mount switched on and cabled as per their diagram. Updated to the version stated and away it went. downloaded the up to date packages and flashed the handset. 

I can attempt to set mine up again if you want....see if it attempts anything again.

Tried CFM_1.9.4200 and it still doesn't work!

Sorry CSM, don't think I can comment on your issue. I only use the Mac. I assume this is your first attempt at doing the update. If so is the cable you are using one of those specifically mentioned by Celestron?

Cables bought from FLO.  Have previously updated a NexStar 6SE successfully.  Not too worried as mount replaced and working but haven't tried it with my netbook.  More worried about the weather.  Doesn't look as if there will be any clear skies in October and into November.

Simon,

No I just had the mount switched on and cabled as per their diagram. Updated to the version stated and away it went. downloaded the up to date packages and flashed the handset. 

I can attempt to set mine up again if you want....see if it attempts anything again.

Hi Steve.

I have got a picture of the connections for the Starsense handset but not for the normal one.

Have you got a copy of the picture to update the normal handset? I can't seem to see one in the CFM download.

Hopefully my lead will arrive tomorrow.

SImon

Its pretty much exactly the same except don't have the camera plugged into anything. So USB to serial - Serial to handset - handset into mount. Mount is powered on and away it goes.

I will have another go at connecting mine up and running through it later on.

I had problems updating my nexstar+, neither my desktop or laptop would run the software (Java problems as others above have experienced). I could get the firmware to run on my MacBook and it automatically updated to the most up to date version, however, cannot get it to recognise that the mount was connected.

Eventually, I returned it to Astronomia who very kindly re flashed it for me. They mentioned that they use quite an old PC to do this, from what they said, I got the impression that there may be problems with the newer versions of windows.

I think I'll dig out one of my old PCs and see if it still works!!!!!

I really hope I don't have to do it again, or have a similar problem with the AVX mount I bought a couple of months ago!

Hi Steve,

Update on firmware update on MAC:

Cable arrived today. Plugged in. Started CFM. Identified scope. Firmware update went like a dream (although not tested in the field yet).

Updated both Starsense and Nexstar+ handset.

For anyone else struggling I can confirm that this lead worked on a MAC. It is supposed to be compatible with window as well.

http://www.amazon.co...7986871_TE_item

Thanks for all your help.  :grin:

SImon

Hi Steve,

Update on firmware update on MAC:

Cable arrived today. Plugged in. Started CFM. Identified scope. Firmware update went like a dream (although not tested in the field yet).

Updated both Starsense and Nexstar+ handset.

For anyone else struggling I can confirm that this lead worked on a MAC. It is supposed to be compatible with window as well.

http://www.amazon.co...7986871_TE_item

Thanks for all your help.  :grin:

SImon

Glad it worked out for you. Told you it was easy ;-)

Regards

• 1 year later...

Major announcement for Celestron AVX/Advanced VX mounts locked up with bootloader errors!!

I've been quite aware of the issues with the AVX, mainly the Bootloader error messages that occur when using the Celestron Firmware Manager.

I had these issues about 1 1/2 years ago and the Celestron Techs couldn't advise me how to get the CFM to discover my telescope device nor upload any firmware upgrade packages.

So I had to send the hand controller to be reflashed which took about 3-4 weeks thanks to UPS Ground.

I saw no errors until recently.

I wanted to update my location settings for longitude/lattitude since we had moved so I fired up the Advanced VX mount in my living room & low and behold-I had the Bootloader 0080 Error message!

I connected the USB to Serial adapter from the hand controller to the laptop but the CFM would not discover/recognise my telescope!

The firmware upgrade packages loaded properly into the CFM but I couldn't get them past the locked out hand controller which now showed the Bootloader 0040 Serial error message.!

Eventually, I got the CFM to discover my device but when I went to upload the 11 firmware upgrade packages, they stopped in the middle of #2.

So I messaged the Supervisor of the Celestron Tech Support Dept and he told me to do the following:

Open the folder with the CFM executable .jar file in it and above that file I would see a folder named Packages.

I was told to delete that Packages folder then restart the CFM and lo & behold-The 11 firmware updates literally flew into the hand controller then into the mount!

This method, in my opinion & based on my determined research on AVX mount issues, is the easy fix for not just the Bootloader errors such as 0080 & 0040 but should easily fix the Error 16 & 17 messages that lock up the hand and motor control updates.

If you know of someone that has the AVX mount made by Celestron & know they are having issues uploading firmware software or if their mount is locked into multiple error messages, tell them of the above fix.

Huge thanks the the Celestron tech Support team and Tyler Michaelis, Supervisor.

This easy fix should help many with AVX lock up issues!

Clear skies from Carl Randall at Cargeena 2 Astronomy on Facebook!

Archived