Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Northumberland

ace2029

Hello everyone,

I consider myself very much a newbie to astronomy but at 32 years of age I figured it is time to take the plunge!

I've always had an interest in the solar system and beyond but would like to see the stars for myself as opposed to on videos/NASA images.

I am steeling myself to make my first purchase of equipment.  I have always enjoyed photography and wanted to combine the two disciplines.

To this end I am looking at the Skywatcher 130P EQ2 with the Skywatcher 2x Achromatic barlow which also has the T-Ring threads.

I also hope in future to expand the selection of eyepieces with some of the Celestron X-CEL LX eyepieces.

Might sound daft but even though I can afford the telescope etc I'm still nervous about dipping my toes in the water!

Andy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. If you are thinking that your interest for imaging is going to be DSO's then get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. If you are thinking that your interest for imaging is going to be DSO's then get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Sara,

Many thanks for your greeting :)  I will be starting with the Moon and planets to get used to using the telescope and starting with the camera (Canon EOS 550D).  I understand there can be issues with the focal plane on a Newtonian which can be overcome using a Barlow but I relish the challenge and am looking forward to posting some images online.

I will certainly check out the book you recommended however; I am keen to learn as much as I can - even if I don't end up using the knowledge myself it may be of use to someone else along the way :)

Andy

Welcome to the forum :)

I am interested in your opinion once you get those "Celestron X-CEL LX eyepieces" as I am looking at purchasing EP's and they look good :)

Clear skies

Hi Andy & welcome to SGL.

You may want to have a look at the 130P's new brother, the 130PDS!

The DS meaning better Dual Speed focuser & allround for imaging.

Goodluck & clear skies..

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Many thanks for your advice - money for the initial kit is limited and I couldn't run to getting the PDS plus a mount and tripod unfortunately.

However, the 130P should be fine to get up and running - further down the line if an upgrade is warranted (and affordable) I could then use the tripod and mount from the 130 as well as the eyepieces.

Trying to plan ahead :)

Andy

Welcome to the forum :)

I am interested in your opinion once you get those "Celestron X-CEL LX eyepieces" as I am looking at purchasing EP's and they look good :)

Clear skies

I'll certainly drop you a PM once I've got them although it will most likely be November/early December before I can obtain one (or two)!

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL, if you want to take a little more time over things, invest in a pair of binoculars, you can start to get to grips with familiarising yourself with the night sky, until such time as you reach a decision on the type of scope you would like. Your bins will always be a useful addition to your observing kit, enjoy :)

Hello everyone, I'd like to say a huge thank you to you all for the very warm and friendly welcome :)

Ok, today was D-Day...I've purchased the 130P EQ2, 2X Achromatic Barlow and Canon EOS T-ring.  To say I'm excited for tomorrow would be an understatement, although the weather being as it is I won't risk setting it up outside in case it gets blown over!!

Hoping for clear skies around the time of the half moon onwards to try and get some shots although even if I can just set the scope up on the mount and get it polar aligned I'll be happy enough!

Ah man I'm loving learning all of this.

Thanks for listening and hope to bump into you sometime :)

Andy

Archived