Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron CG3 disassembly

jlschmidt14

Trying to regrease my mount and having trouble with the declination axis. The RA axis came right apart once I removed the nut and now rotates beautifully since it's using lithium grease instead of that borderline adhesive that was in there. Hoping that alone will help my motor drive keep up, but I'd like to do the same thing with the declination so I can balance the scope more accurately.

The dec axis was still holding tight after I removed the nut, so I took the little set screws out of the orange piece that the counterweight bar threads into, and that will rotate a few degrees on the shaft but still nothing coming apart.

Hope someone has some advice for me, I don't want to force it and break something.

Thanks!

Hi, you don't need to remove the nut from the saddle end of the DEC axis. That end is pretty much glued solid. The orange part is threaded and should come off after the three small grubscrews are loosened. The problem is that the screws push in to the thread at the end of the DEC axis and deform them, so it might take some force to make it turn on the thread. But be careful not to strip the threads on the orange part. It's a lot softer material than the axis.

I should have some photos from when I took my CG3 apart. I can check once I get home from work.

Archived