First Quark\Blackfly image

Davey-T

Finally managed first image with Quark/ Blackfly/ Fire Capture (too many new things to try at once) don't know how I ended up with a widescreen version :)

Conditions poor, too many clouds, too much wind, by the time the sky cleared a bit the Sun was just about to disappear behind the house.

Put through PIPP/Autostakert/PShop, bit over sharpened maybe, not had much practice at Solar processing.

Just looked out and not a [removed word] cloud in sight, blooming typical.

Revelation 100mm ref' Quark Chromosphere and Point Grey Blackfly 09S2M captured with Fire Capture

Dave

post-21198-0-10696700-1413735824_thumb.j

Tut tut, Dave. Word removed, no less.

Calmeth downeth. :-)

Great images.

They're enough to make a saint swear, especially when they go across the Sun in a procession with large swathes of blue sky each side.  :grin:

Dave

Great! Maybe use a reducer on the close ups to reduce the image scale a bit. :)

Yes must get one, heard a cheap .5x SW was good enough, I think the seeing was pretty pants for the native magnification of the Quark.

Dave

Ref post #7: I was there, too. Waiting for that big swathe of blue to move over, only to see that big fat cloud swivel up and over the sun. Watching all the blue around the cloud that covered the sun. Expecting, hoping, waiting, ghostly image of the disk, covered again, it must come soon, ah the blue area is moving in the right way, oh no it's not, inside, outside again, cover the lens, uncover the lens, look at the blue again, ooh a glimpse, cloud again?!

Best/nicest way to describe viewing today is 'character building'.

The kind of character it might build is open to comment ...

Great first set Dave, both your Quark and the Lunt.  I can't do any good with my Quark at prime focus, I have to use a 0.5x FR and then it is tricky to focus.  My WO ZS80 with a Quark and 0.5x FR compares to my Lunt 60 with a 2x barlow, so you get the idea, it needs good conditions.  Without a FR it is just impossible.

Robin

Great first set Dave, both your Quark and the Lunt.  I can't do any good with my Quark at prime focus, I have to use a 0.5x FR and then it is tricky to focus.  My WO ZS80 with a Quark and 0.5x FR compares to my Lunt 60 with a 2x barlow, so you get the idea, it needs good conditions.  Without a FR it is just impossible.

Robin

Ordered TS .5X reducer so will give that a try, also ordered Moonlight focuser for the LS60 and will fit it with motor focuser courtesy of Tekydave of this forum as I find focusing the trickiest thing. 

Dave

Hi and apologies for butting in so to speak.

Mainly for Davey-T

I am interested in your use of the Point Grey Blackfly camera, I am thinking of buying one of these which is advetised as USB 3.0. Are they any good for other imaging like DSO'S or just Solar and Planetary?

Would be very interested in you views. Cheers.

Also have a Quark ordered.

Tam

Celestron AVX mount, Skywatcher ED80, Celestron Nexstar 6SE and Skywatcher ST80.

Lots of different eyepieces. Lodestar X2 camera for guiding and SPC900NC

Hi Tam, I'm actually using the ethernet cable version as USB 3 drivers are apparently a bit suspect at the moment depending on the computer used, also ethernet is supposedly as fast as USB3, the only slight drawback is you have to disable your WIFI  connection while using the camera to stop interference, also a bit more faffing about setting it up with IP address.

Only good for Solar / Planetary work but very good for that.

Have a word with Rupert at Astrograph for a more sensible explanation than mine, also good place to purchase from. I did look at buying from PG direct but found their website really confusing, you have to register to see a price and I never did get it to work

Only managed the one short imaging session so far but it looks promising.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me and also for the information, I will have a chat with Rupert and then decide what to do, I notice he doesn't have the USB3 models on his website(yet) but will see.

I have ordered the Quark through him so have spoken before.

Thanks again

Tam

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me and also for the information, I will have a chat with Rupert and then decide what to do, I notice he doesn't have the USB3 models on his website(yet) but will see.

Thanks again

Tam

Have you any idea for the delivery date of your Quark...

Hi Dave

Thanks again

Tam

See this thread on PG USB3

Dave

Stardust

Re the Quark, possibly 6 weeks, they were expecting 6 in this week with 5 confirmed orders and one undecided, so there was a chance I would get that one, but since then I have heard nothing so would guess that one is gone too. So its a 6 week wait which is fine.

Tam

Archived