Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I might as well be a newbie

kens

Hello and welcome!

Interesting scope you had there, I hope you can post some pictures of it somewhere here in the forum. Its good to have standards on the eyepiece holder, but do your self a favour. Do not install a 1,25" focuser, do install a 2" focuser instead so you can use your scope without vignetting with a DLSR or a CCD camera. And also accept great 2" eyepieces in the future.

Unfortunately the focuser is the sliding type so installing a new 2" focuser is difficult. That will need to wait for n+1.

Meantime it turns out the dec drive is ok. I had discharged the battery pack when I connected the wrong polarity and it didn't have enough charge to drive the dec motor even though it could drive the ra motor.Plus I've found a supplier for the missing clutch. Guaranteed the old one will turn up as soon as I place the order. And I can McGyver up a  toe saver. Looking like clear(ish) sky tonight for the first time in ages so may have a chance to try things out.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Kens !

Welcome to the forum and it's nice to see that you found the passion once more ! Good luck with the observatory

kens, can you post a picture of your focuser? I do not think I fully understand how it looks. A sliding type focuser? It could not be optimal if you want to fine adjust your focus.

Its the sort that as the secondary permanently connected to the eyepiece tube and focuses by moving the whole lot back and forwards along the main axis of the OTA. Regarded by some as a lower end solution, whilst Vixen call it "unique". Like most things, with a bit of care they are fine to use. I found the adjuster was slipping so I pulled it apart and found the rack gear was hanging on by about 1/2 turn of the tiny mounting screw. Tightened it up (and its partner at the other end) and it is just as good as ever.

Let's see if I can link to a photo of it and hope it doesn't come out too big.

IMGP0960_zps663806e0.jpg

Archived