Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laptop Dewproofing

Hey guys,

I'm putting together my starter settup and i got a old Toshiba Satellite A660 that i want to use for Astrophotography.

It will be used for all the funky stuff (autoguiding, DSLR control, mount control etc.)

My concern is waterproofing the laptop to prevent dew damage. Finding it difficult to locate relevant information.

Any advice, links to products, etc. that can help me prevent water damage for laptop while its out imaging is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately the laptop don't generate the heat required to prevent dew since the processors work even more efficeintly and thus are used lot less. The fact they OLED screens also cools it down substantially (and the fact the screen is on sleep since i remotely access the laptop).

Stick it on the Barbie, no worries. ;)

(seriously, I've got this problem myself, but if you remotely access the laptop, then we can assume that you don't use the screen or keyboard, thus in the 'power options' select 'do nothing' when you close the laptop, and simply leave it in an old laptop bag with just the cables poking out.)  Worked fine with my old HP, but not yet 'cut' my newish Tosh bag.

Or buy something you really want for 20 quid from Amazon*, take the over-sized cardboard box that it is delivered in and cut off the lid and one side.  Turn over, plonk on top of the laptop, job done - instant portable dew protection.  You'll need a new cardboard box every so often when the old one starts to disintegrate from repeated cycles of getting damp and drying out, and don't forget to recycle!

* Other sources of cardboard are available, e.g. the local supermarket, skips, pretending you need them for your kid's school project, etc.

I put mine in a small flight case with holes cut for the cables which works well. When in the back garden I have mains power so occasionally if it's particularly dewy I load up an app or two that I know are CPU hogs, five minutes of them running and the fans are on full blast and the laptop is nicely warmed!! I've even sometimes put my gloves underneath the laptop to get them heated that way.

If power is an issue then anything that traps a little air around the laptop will work, either cases, laptop tents as suggested above will be fine :)

James

Edit: This also works a treat for demisting eyepieces if I happen to be doing some observing too...

Put mine in a cardboard box that I made as a "temporary solution" about six months ago to work out the dimensions for something more permanent, still haven't got round to it. :)

Need to get a balance between keeping dry and overheating so needs holes in the bottom.

Useful for Solar as well

Dave

I've had to cut short a couple of imaging runs of late due to the laptop being covered in dew, and we don't get enough imaging time as it is. A way of preventing it is now high on my agenda too.

So far very interesting advice and opinions, I'm actually designing something as we speak to take care of this problem. There is a lot of stuff for tablets/phones but not much relevant stuff for laptops.

I'm going to test it out and it if works out, i'll put the link here for everyone to check out.

Large plastic storage box on its side, cut holes for cables. If you can get one with a clip on lid you can put this on if you want to go in for a cuppa!

Plus 1 for this option. Also, you can use the box for storage/transport.

Hope I'm not taking the thread too far of topic but I wanted to try a remote PC myself.....trouble is, my other lappy is an old XP Compag..not very powerful by today's std's.

Will it be suitable as a remote PC next to the mount?

Ray

Archived