Astra Image Lucy Richardson vs Photoshop Smart Sharpen

Luke

We solar folks seem to be having a bit of an Astra Image 4 frenzy, trying out its deconvolution routines :grin: A big thanks to Brian (Smerral) saying about using 250 (!) iterations.

Here is my first effort based on that, with a Quark and Tele Vue 60 shot. I hope you can see the subtle difference, you might need browser at 100% zoom. For me though the difference is small, the Astra Image one I am happy with, the Photoshop Smart Sharpen is not quite there for me so I might usually downsize it a bit and add a second lighter dose of sharpening.

14924254784_dece2c9eac_o.gif

Luke, that is a very small difference, but I agree, the Lucy Richardson just has the advantage. I know we have all gone deconvolution mad, but I couldn't believe how much better my solar images are shaping up using LR processing.

Robin

Luke, that is a very small difference, but I agree, the Lucy Richardson just has the advantage. I know we have all gone deconvolution mad, but I couldn't believe how much better my solar images are shaping up using LR processing.

Robin

That's great news, Robin!

I think I might be able to sharpen the LR one a touch more, but what struck me is that I would be happy to leave it at 100% size. Most of my Quark images so far have been downsized and a shot with the 60mm I had been processing I was thinking I might need to downsize as well. I don't mind downsizing the 120mm shots as there is quite a lot of detail anyway, but I'd like to keep my 60mm shots at 100% if poss.

That is interesting you did it through twice. I was getting no difference between 250 or 500 iterations when I tried it. I wonder what 2x 250 would have done.

Alexandra

That was two deconvolutions with different parameters of the blur (PSF width, I assume), which should differ from 500 iterations with a single PSF. Haven't tried that yet.

Alexandra, as Michael says, I used a different Blur Kernel Size. I didn't intend to do two passes, it was just that after the first blast, the noise seemed pretty low so it looked like it could take another dose :-o But I am happy to have a starting point where I can hopefully edge Smart Sharpen! I'm not expecting a big difference, and ditto your images, because I think Smart Sharpen does a pretty good job especially considering the speed, I thnk we pay a cost in a bit more noise. I wonder if it is a flavour of Wiener?

OK OK OK I'm hooked, it does nothing for Halpha for me but for Calcium K woohoo!!! I've never been able to use Smart sharpen for this and been using wavelets, using Astra Image 4 in CaK is like using Smart sharpen for Halpha.

Alexandra

Very curious indeed. I gather CaK tends to be noisier, so LR might be more stable than Smart Sharpen, giving better results whenever the photon count is a bit lower (as with my little LS35 compared to Alexandra's heavy artillery ;)). That might explain why several people report better results with LR, in others it is a draw, and for some PS wins.

Archived