Narrowband

New Moderators

As we have two extra GM's, the area's covered by specific GM's have altered slightly.

We have also appointed two new Moderators MikeP and Talitha (Carol).

Mike is looking after the Equipment and Buy/Sell Zones with Whiplash (Tony) and Gaz.

Talitha has replaced Maccers and is looking after the Observing and Science zones with Astroman (Steve) and Lunator(ian).

I'm sure that Carol and Mike will do a stirling job of looking after you all.

Good luck Guys / Gals.

Ant

on behalf of Admin

• 5 years later...

This probably not the correct place to ask this question but ........ can anybody help or pass this request onto whoever can help.

My sign in name is Mr Bassman but I have realised that I also have another name on here. I have just initiated the Mr Bassman acoount, as I have realised that I have another account on SGL under the sign-in name of Kynaston. I have apologied to all those people who welcomed me under the Mr Bassman name in a post under non-astro things, but I would like the moderators to delete the Mr Bassman name as I can reinstate the Kynaston name which I have had for some time.

Because I have not used the SGL for some time, I had forgotten my old name. :embarassed:

Sorry about all this and hope it all makes sense.

Doug. (ex. Mr Bassman and now Kynaston)

Yes posting in a thread thats 4 years old isn't the best place lol 

I have merged your two accounts together. Kynaston is your live account, Mr Bassman is deleted but any content under that account will now show in the live account. 

cheers

Ant

I have previously asked the question of how to become an mod. As Peter say the Admins must look at who is posting what and when and then make a decision who might be suitable and invite them. Perhaps the mods and admins can help me with a question though. Do all mods have to be highly experience in all things astronomical before they are considered? The reason I ask this is that would it be and idea to have someone who is relatively inexperienced on the team to add a bit of balance? Looking at the mod team there does seem to be a wide range between how many posts certain mods have made. They could come in from a newbies angle perhaps? Still abiding by the coc  and of course adding something to the overall smooth running of SGL. Or perhaps I am talking rubbish. I'll get me coat:-)

There is normally a pretty good balance. Newbies have been invited on in the past for this reason, but also sometimes their initial enthusiasm wanes and posts drop off, so usually the team is chosen from the members who have been particularly positive in their posts and general attitude, along with helpful and informative.

The best 'Mod team' is the membership though, and we appreciate everyone's efforts at keeping the forum a place of information and friendly helpful astronomy discussions. We can disagree without being disagreeable, discuss without being disgusting, and share opinions without being overly opinionated.

Cheers

Best of luck MikeP and Talitha!

It is entirely feasible for a mod to have no knowledge of astronomy what so ever, as it is to have an astronomer who has no knowledge of moderating a web based forum.

As in life, a happy medium somewhere between the two is usually what works best!

I think we're very lucky in having it just about right here on SGL!

Cheers Mods!

I am actually relatively inexperienced compared with most mods. Whilst I have been interested in astromomy all my life (among other things I saw Hale Bopp, Hayakutake, plenty of lunar eclipses and a couple of solar eclipses (partial anyway)), it always took a sideline to natural history until about 5 years ago when astronomy really got my attention and I have never looked back. Looked up a lot but never back.

Archived