EQ5 with damaged worm wheel...what's best?

Draconid

Hello there,

I have an old EQ5 mount with a damaged worm wheel. I am looking for a replacement wheel, but spare parts are a bit hard to find.

Fortunaly it is the declination wheel and only a small section is damaged. (with teeth are broken off). I can be worked around, but it would be nice to have this issue sorted out.

I am thinking if making (or better said: have someone to make ;-) ) a new worm wheel is a solution. Having someone making a tube the exact size as the original is not going to be the challenge, but hobbing out the teeth is. According to this site ( http://www.astronomyasylum.com/gears.html)it can be done with moderate tools, but one has to know the speed of the thread, which I recon this definitely not metric.

This worm will be used in the declination axis, so it doesn't have to be super accurate (correct me if I'm wrong)

Does anybody has an idea what type of tapping tread is necessary? Or is it better to find a supply of second hand EQ5 parts?

Any help is highly appreciated!

. According to this site ( http://www.astronomyasylum.com/gears.html)

What an ingenious idea!!

I have to agree with Zakalwe though that buying a used EQ5 or even putting an advert for a damaged EQ5 would be a better option all around. Take off what you want then sell the rest as spares and repairs if need be. Even better take it as a sign from the astronomy gods to upgrade to a HEQ5 ;)

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know outer diameter of an eq5 worm wheel...??? I have started machining my own mount and hust purchaced an rq5 clock motor for the RA axis. But now i am finding it extremely tough finding a ready eq5 wormwheel. All i know that it has a ratio of 144:1(number for teeth). If someone can help me with the outer diameter, rheres a factory that machines gears using CNC machines. It would be of real help if someone could help me out here.:hello:

3 hours ago, dwayne dias said:

Does anyone know outer diameter of an eq5 worm wheel...??? I have started machining my own mount and hust purchaced an rq5 clock motor for the RA axis. But now i am finding it extremely tough finding a ready eq5 wormwheel. All i know that it has a ratio of 144:1(number for teeth). If someone can help me with the outer diameter, rheres a factory that machines gears using CNC machines. It would be of real help if someone could help me out here.:hello:

Hi Dwayne,

All that matters is the worm ratio, so any 144:1 work and wheel will work with those motors. You should be able to finds one on Alibaba

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/telescope-worm-gear.html

Archived