SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing the Pleiades

william123

How wide of a true field of view (TFOV) does one need to observe the entire Pleiades cluster well?  Will 2.3 degrees suffice?  Will 2.7 degrees suffice?  I know this may be an odd question, and I know that good binoculars may be the best answer ultimately, but right now I'm trying to determine, without access to any equipment, the minimum TFOV for a pleasing observation through a telescope.

Thank you.

Bill

2.3 should manage them, although 2.7 would likely be better..

Sizing these gets difficult as there is nebulosity associated with them the question is  "Where does it end?"

If you get a better scope, collect more light and if imaging a better more sensative camera and you can add to the size. Another example is M42, it seems to get a little bigger every so often for this reason.

I used to consider M54 as about a degree across, raised that to 1.5 degrees. Not sure if they have yet made 2 degrees, so as said initially 2.3 should do them well, and 2.7 would sort of frame them. Some depends on your preference for seeing them as in biger and just fitting in the view or smaller with darkness surrounding them.

As Shane says, 2 degrees is plenty to fit M45 in, although I prefer to see it with some surrounding dark sky as it puts it in context better.

This shows it with Telrad circles (0.5, 2 and 4 degrees) so might help a little. I think 2.5 to 3 degrees would give it plenty but this is often about personal preference.

53d2b0d3302e1fa76fe108a4d7972f3e.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, everyone!  You told me just what I wanted to know!

I have a 130mm f7.7 apo coming soon, and I wanted to know whether my 35 Panoptic would show the Pleiades properly with the scope.  The 35 Pan will give me 2.2 degrees TFOV, so it should be alright.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

The details for the M45 image below is:

******** ASTROMETRIC SOLUTION RESULTS ********
Center RA: 03h 46m 16.91s
Center Dec: +24° 13' 37.3"
Scale: 3.38 arcseconds/pixel
Size (pixels): 1374 x 1099
Angular Size: 1° 17' 23" x 1° 01' 54"
Position Angle: 84° 39' from North
RMS: 1.70 (X: 1.33 Y: 1.05)
Number of Stars Used in Solution: 61 (97%)
FWHM: 2.53 pixels, 8.53 arcseconds
post-36426-0-21951200-1414433354_thumb.j
You can see at this resolution it captures most of the cluster.

• 1 month later...

As Shane says, 2 degrees is plenty to fit M45 in, although I prefer to see it with some surrounding dark sky as it puts it in context better.

This shows it with Telrad circles (0.5, 2 and 4 degrees) so might help a little. I think 2.5 to 3 degrees would give it plenty but this is often about personal preference.

53d2b0d3302e1fa76fe108a4d7972f3e.jpg

Stu

Wow...this is a  cool presenation .Are there more than 7 stars and wish one can't be seen by eye ??

There certainly are more than seven stars. I've seen 8 with the naked eye I think, and there are reports of people with excellent eyesight being able to see 14 or more under excellent conditions.

I'm not sure but this there maybe several hundred in all in the cluster

Archived