SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 Progress

Roy Batty

I thought I'd re-post an image of M81 I took on the 16th of Feb along with this one from the 4th March just to give an idea of the range of results that can come from more subs, better conditions etc. The only difference kit wise was now I have a dew shield - mainly for shielding the secondary mirror from stray light as the focuser on the C8-N is fairly near the top of the tube.

cheers

RB

16th Feb image (about 30Min's of data)

4312_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

4th March image (about 50Min's of data)

4313_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Improvement is drastic, and the image is superb. I find it especially appealing to see more than one DSO in the same FOV , no matter it's through the scope or in an image :wink:

marius

Thanks for the comments guys :wink:

When I took the first test shot I thought I was on to some good data - this was confirmed when DSS used 49 out of the 60 subs selected.

I think the dew shield is helping quite a bit - at least visually images appear more contrasty to me now.

My next aim is to re-visit NGC1977 with more data and hope to get improvements there to.

cheers

RB

nice spiralling there. been looking for some galaxies myself and so far een m31 isnt really visible just a bright gray center and then fain haze around it.

where is my closest dark site? anyone know a site with darksite locations on it?

Martin - the Actions I used were: LP removal, Increase star colour, Enhance DSO reduce starts & Local Contrast Enhancement.

Mark - It's a difficult one this, indeed your image takes out still more LP but it comes at the price of cooling the whole image down. I think I tried a "Soft colour gradient Removal" at one point that produced a similar result to yours, but discarded it.

All - Thanks for the encouraging comments :wink:

cheers

RB

Tried a re-stack in DSS with the addition of some flat files - I think this has helped as I have been able to keep the core tighter in M81 whilst using curves to bring out the arms, plus the effects of LP was easier to deal with.

See if you like this one Mark?

RB

4492_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Archived