SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why do I want a refractor? (Do I have a problem?)

Okay, so this may be a bit weird, but I keep finding myself looking a small refractors, and then wondering why? I was wondering if someone could help me with this curious phenomenon? Is it just a case of shiny kit syndrome? Am I alone in this?

Currently I have a 10" dob for big nights out in the country, and a littler 5" dob for scuttling out the back of the flats with. I've got a wee Lunt 35 too, which does a nice job for solar. So why the heck do I keep looking at dinky refractors? The 5" will still beat small refractors for DSOs, and having looked through a few white-light solar scopes... I prefer the H-alpha of the Lunt.

Yet I keep looking at things like the WO Zenithstar 71, or the Altair Starwave 70ED. I don't do astrophotography (though, eventually, one day I may). I don't have an EQ mount. I don't have anything against mirrors, so what gives?

I actually managed to have a look through a Zenithstar 71 at a star party recently, too. Naturally, my dob was beating it on the detail it was showing in Andromeda (no dark lanes in the 71mm) - but it did seem ... crisp. I kinda got what people meant when they say refractors punch above their weight.

The main reasons I can think of are that:

• it'd potentially be airline portable, if I stuck to the 60-70mm f/6 kinda range.
  • a wee refractor like that with a 2" diagonal and a nice low-power eyepiece would have a fantastic field of view. 
  • it wouldn't have to cool for scuttling outside
  • there's a space in my flight case alongside the Lunt, and it looks lonely.

None of that seems adequate justification for scope number four - so can anyone help me with what the hell I'm thinking? Or do I just have a problem?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with small fracs or big dobs for that matter but i think its a completely false to say bigger is allways better you could argue that the best instrument for light gathering is the naked eye anything else reduces the total light that gets in. 

I like to think of scopes as offering differing magnified views of the night sky each view is equally valid so a 20" dob is not necessarily better than 7x50 binos.

Alan

It's often said that greater aperture shows more. Very often that is true.

However, a short focus refractor with a low power eyepiece shows what nothing else can - pinpoint stars across a large field of view.

My TV Pronto with a 27mm Panoptic gives 18x and a 3.8 degree field, enough to see the double cluster and Stock 2 together - wonderful.

Very many other great sights await such a scope.

Add to that no hassle to transport, fast set up, no cooldown, no collimation, instant fun.

Your 10" Dob will do things a short refractor cannot, vice versa is also true............

Regards, Ed.

I had the same problem as well. I got a nice 10" Newtonian as a primary instrument but I always wanted a small refractor, simply because I consder it "cool".

I decided to get one when I caught myself dreaming about such a scope at night :smiley: , and got a second hand Stellarvue 80mm ED doublet with an air travel case (this 80mm is air portable).

Couldn't be happier - It produces pinpoint stars, really nice views of the Sun, the Moon and the planets. I take it with me for holidays or for public events. I never take it to dark sites though, where I carry my main instrument - probably missing out some wide field views, but I already got enough equipment to carry, pack and unpack.

Also I consider turning it into an H-alpha scope by getting a Daystar Quark filter.

Andy, you are suffering from a perfectly rational, irrational love of refractors, something I gave up fighting long ago.

I love the contrast and sharp views in them, even though I know they are out performed in light grasp by newts.

I take mine all over the place, having 85mm, or even 60mm with me at a very dark site gives me some amazing widefield views.

You know it makes sense ;-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the views that refractors give too and feel they do "punch above their weight" as you say but I also find that 100mm is the smallest aperture that gives views that continually satisfy. I've owned a number of nice smaller ones in the 60mm, 70mm, 80mm and 90mm apertures but I've not kept them for long in all honesty.

I compared the TAL 100rs to the Skyliner in my early days.....the skyliner won. I would also like  an ED80 or ED100  for astrophotography, should I venture that far and my pockets are deep enough.  I could always tell the Mrs Its a new finder scope?

I gave in and got one, it is only the humble ST80 bit I love the pin point very pleasing views I have had through it and I find the position for viewing so much more intuitive to using the small dob. It is like using a better/bigger binocular. I sat to view with the tripod in front. Yes smaller apperature and some CA but overall nicer.

I've got a dob, a grab n go mak and bins. I would still like a nice frac for no other reason than they look good and it would be something else to have. Don't actually need one at all. If I had a load of money I would have a shed full of kit to look at the clouds!

I do not usually do visual, but have had the pleasure of peeping through a Baader Travel Companion at a Carl Zeiss artificial star. Whoah! The contrast, the clarity, the perfect airy disc! The Travel Companion is a small refractor made in the Carl Zeiss tradition with real calcium-flourite glass. There is nothing like a good refractor!

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/baader-apo-travel-companion/index.htm#english

Naturally, I have one on order ;)

All the best,

Per

I do not usually do visual, but have had the pleasure of peeping through a Baader Travel Companion at a Carl Zeiss artificial star. Whoah! The contrast, the clarity, the perfect airy disc! The Travel Companion is a small refractor made in the Carl Zeiss tradition with real calcium-flourite glass. There is nothing like a good refractor!

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/baader-apo-travel-companion/index.htm#english

Naturally, I have one on order ;)

All the best,

Per

Interesting scope but I did do a double take when I saw the price :shocked:

One for the well heeled obviously :smiley:

I hate break it to you but you have appreciation for good optical devices addiction. I can cure it but it will cost you £5k, that's nothing compared to how much you will waste if you don't sort this "problem" out.

I too have big dobs. A small 70mm attached to your dob makes a fantastic low mag rich field device. Perfectly complimenting the high power and raw punch of the dob.

Also it can be used during the day with a correct view diagonal. The the sun being such a interesting topic you have a third reason to buy one.

At 70mm they are so nice and dinky, so cute we all should have one.

Anyway I'll rather cure you addiction so plz forward me 5k please.

Personally I've come to terms with my problem and need the funds to buy another Tak.

[emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can see what i mean 12"= all-rounder..when do fracs become cumbersome?..100mm 120? i sometimes wonder about a tal 100rs...

It depends on the focal ratio I think Calvin. An F/15 4" frac, though not particularly heavy, is pretty challenging to mount steadily. My 4" F/6.5 ED Vixen is compact and even an AZ-3 has managed to hold it decently, although the AZ-4 is much better. Above 5" and refractors seem to me to get pretty large and cumbersome, even the faster ones.

Archived