Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M3 - 4-03-08 - Canon 350D

jcm

This is the second object I imaged last night. The Canon is pretty good at imaging globular clusters. If you concentrate on a nice tight focus and guide accurately , you can get quite a reasonable enlarged section from the image. The imaged below is cropped from the full frame. When I can get to M13 I want to try and push the Canon to its limits.

130mm APO , F6 , Canon 350D at 800 IS0.

14 X 5 mins.

John

Added new image processed differently.16/3/08

post-13061-133877338598_thumb.jpg

post-13061-133877338941_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's a couple of great pictures you've posted. There's a huge range in colour in the stars which is quite a delight to look at. I think globular clusters are great and you've certainly captured M13 well.

Sam

Hi Dave,

I am having a go at various image processing "techniques" and also trying to reduce noise in the final image. One of the probs with the DSLR images is level of noise after processing.

John

That does make things a tad more difficult John.

There's no doubt, that the better the SNR of an image, the more aggressive you can be with the processing. without noticeable degradation.

DDP is a powerful 'tool', but it doesn't work for all objects, and has to be used with care, whatever the image.

However, experimentation is the 'name of the game', and providing you keep your original safely stored, I find its the best way to understand the effect of the various processing algoritms.

Dave

Archived