sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Hi, 

Can anyone tell me whether a C8 will accept a 5xpowermate for planetary imaging?

I have seen a number of great images with similar combinations to the above, and recently tried 3x barlow with the C8 and it seemed to be pushing the scope a bit, but ive no idea whether the scope can handle 5x easily or whether its depending on seeing conditions being good. etc.

The actual scope is in need of better colimation so that might be a factor affecting the test using 3x barlow. :p

Any ideas hugely welcome 

I think using the X3 is pushing it a bit so I think think the X5 will be a bit too much.

I use a 2.5 which is boarder line if not a fraction too much, thinking about get a good quality X2.

Edited by hobsey
  • Like 1

Thank you, yes the 3x was quite a jump up - i have seen the 5x used with SCT's generally and was unsure of its design being different from barlows. :p

I wonder what kind of situation the 5x powermate can be used?

My camera is a toss-up between the ASI120MC and the Lu070m (icx424al)

The scopes are those in my signature if its any use :)

I knew for visual purposes the magnification is way too high, esp for the SCT -  but for imaging its not quite so extreme.

There are formulas and such that apply but my maths is awful :p

Edited by Aenima

The maths are not difficult. The C8 is an F/10.

With a 5x powermate it becomes an F/50. And with a 3x barlow it becomes an F/30.

No its pretty simple i just have trouble doing it :) lol

I still not sure whether the optimal pixel/focal length is the 'maximum' or  just the best match results wise..?

Something like that. i'm figuring out if the actual scope is performing properly (and collimated), regarding C8's in general.

Edited by Aenima

Pic the camera with more sensitive and less noisy sensor (ICX424 is old and history). As for optimal f/ratio it depends on the target. Mars likes to overscale and Drizzle in processing. Saturn is dim and that's not possible with current imaging technology (doesn't bright and clean enough image at short exposures) as well disk features doesn't seems to take as much advantage as Mars does. Jupiter is somewhere in between. It can overscale/Drizzle easily but only if the seeing is perfect. At average it's better to stick to the "safe" lower max f/ratio.

• Like 1

Great info - thank you for posting :)

Was trying to figure out the best combination of scope camera and barlow to use for planets.. haven't really used the SCT much so still theory at this point. :p

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Greg H
      Hello all, my first post here.
      I have a Celestron CPC 925, which I bought new in 2008. I used it mainly for visual and some casual astrophotography. In about 2012 the arival of my daughter and busy career took me away from astronomy and the scope was left to gather dust. My interest in astronomy was revitalised by Comet Neowise in 2020 and I've started to get into more serious astrophotography.

But, the scope has an optical artifact/defect in the out-of-focus disk of stars that looks like a crack.
      I can see no obvious physical damage to the corrector plate or primary mirror. I've not yet worked up the corrage to take off the corrector plate to inspect the secondary.

I've attached some images, using Procyon, to illustrate the issue. They run from way out of focus to in focus.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to what could be causing this and whether it is a significant problem.

Many thanks.

• By MarsG76
      This is a close up of IC 2944, also known as the Running Chicken Nebula or the λ Centauri Nebula, with the Bok Globules visible in the upper third of the frame. IC2944 is an open cluster with an associated emission nebula found in the constellation Centaurus, near the star λ Centauri. This image was exposed using a Cooled and full spectrum astro modded DSLR through a 8" SCT at it's native 2032mm (f10) focal length. The total exposure time was 8 hours and 25 minutes, through a UV/IR filter to capture natural colour data.
    • By MarsG76
      NGC 6357 is a nebula about 5500 light years away in the constellation Scorpius near the better known NGC 6334, AKA the "Cat's Paw" or "Bear Paw" nebula. This nebula was also given the name War and Peace Nebula because of its appearance in infrared images, the bright western part resembles a dove and the eastern part looks like a skull. This photo was taken through a 8" SCT at f6.3 (1280mm focal length) and exposed using a full spectrum modded and cooled Canon 40D DSLR.
    • By MarsG76
      NGC 6357 is about 5500 light years away in the constellation Scorpius near the better known NGC 6334, AKA the "Cat's Paw" or "Bear Paw" nebula. This nebula was also given the name War and Peace Nebula because of its appearance in infrared images, the bright western part resembles a dove and the eastern part looks like a skull. This photo was taken through a Celestron C8 8" SCT at f6.3 (1280mm focal length), tracked on the CGEM and exposed using a full spectrum modded and cooled Canon 40D DSLR. Total exposure time through the SII, HAlpha and OIII filters was 40 hours.
    • By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Hi, 
      Just thought I'd share this in case you haven't seen it already. A recent (September 2020) article added to the Celestron 'Knowledge Base' on collimating SCTs.
      I don't claim to have seen all articles on collimation, but this is defs one of the best that I have seen. 

https://www.celestron.com/blogs/knowledgebase/sct-edgehd-collimation-guide

Siouxsie 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.