SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC1977 - M42 with ST80 scope

moondog

Yes - I know, but I haven't imaged M42 since Dec2006!

When I got the ST80 as a low cost guide scope, I was impressed by the apparent optical quality.

So decided to try it for imaging - 19 x 30secs subs @ 1600 ISO Canon350D EOS with UHC_S filter. Seeing 2/5

4300_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

MD

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve - Yes I know there was field rotation. I normally polar align the scope but the sky didn't look as if it would wait for me to do that.

The mount was an HEQ5, which I levelled and just pointed approx. to the north.

I didn't expect much of an image with the ST80 and I was surprised at the quality. Next time I promise to give it a bit more care and attention!

Thanks for the comments.

MD

Great outcome MD. What a pity you did not have this gear Down Under with you. It bodes well for you whenever you move mate.

We can look forward to some super stuff from the Southern skies.

Ron. :wink:

Great outcome MD. What a pity you did not have this gear Down Under with you. It bodes well for you whenever you move mate.

We can look forward to some super stuff from the Southern skies.

Ron. :wink:

Now we're back we are putting the pressure on to complete the house sale. It's not a good time for house sales in the UK at the moment.

Spending 3 months out in NZ and seeing the night sky on a regular basis has made me change my mind about the astro gear I intend to take with me. There might be a bit of kit for sale on SGL soon!

8)

MD

Thanks Rob and no, I don't mind.

With the ST80, a DSLR and a decent astro processor on the job, the skies the limit (literally)!

M42 was pretty low down in the South West as well. This is where I have some LP - the UHC-S filter did a good job.

Wish I'd had time to polar align the scope to get rid of the slight field rotation - but then I'd have missed the chance.

8)

MD

Hope it does encourage newcomers Dave - it's certainly encouraged me to use it again on some suitable objects.

As KK says the ST80 becomes an APO if you use it for narrow band imaging. Think I'll get an Ha filter and try it.

Makes a cracking little travel scope with a lightweight tracker mount to take 'down under' for the great skies.

I'm sure we would both have liked this set up when we were down under earlier this year!

8)

MD

Certainly would have John, but like you probably, we struggled with the 20kg baggage allowance as it was.

I had planned to take my 15x70's with me, but there just wasn't any weight capacity left. Even our hand baggage was 'stuffed' with Cadbury's chocolate :wink:, Aussie chocolate just isn't the same, and real Cadbury's is very expensive out there.

So, the family rely on us to bring in fresh supplies of decent chocolate. :)

Anyway, hopefully you won't have to worry about what to take, as it will all fit nicely into the large 'Container', along with everything else. :)

Dave

Tell you what Dave - if we get out to NZ, you're welcome to come over and have a go with my astro gear.

I'll do a swap for a bar of Cadbury's Fruit & Nut (UK style). I understand that Cabury's have a different recipe for 'hot' countries - so the choccies don't melt. That's why it doesn't taste the same as in the UK.

8)

MD

Archived