Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Outreach eps for celestron omni xlt 150

Bender

Thanks to Shane I am now proud owner of a Celestron omni xlt 150 ota, which I intent to take along to family gatherings under dark skies in France.

Now, using my mark v bino for 5-8 yr old is out of question :) and my old orthos (now on sale anyway) aren't ideal either.

Any recommendations for 2-3 1.25" eps for the f5 scope that don't break the bank but are good enough to not put people of stargazing in future because of mediocre views ?

Don't have to be perfect all the way out.

Just some more info.

I  compared Baader Zoom with BST 8mm and 12mm (all bought new) in my 80ED and C8. On axis, the zoom is a little sharper than BST, and clearly less scatter on Jupiter, thus more detailed view on Jupiter. Off axis performance are about the same, except that 8mm BST showed purple color.

The Baader zoom, it's being excellent notwithstanding, will clean-out one's bank account. Even used. For a decent and fun EP people will like, an 8 - 24mm zoom from Meade, Celestron, Vixen, etc. will work very well and deliver good views. That is what I always carry for outreach with my ST80 F/5. And a green laser-pointer. Between the fun of the zoom and the techy Star-Wars of the greenie, people get reeled right in!

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived