Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair 102mm F11

Fozzie

Well here goes, a first attempt and an equipment review on my new achro, please bear with me the opening of this things has happened in stages due to pesky things like work and an impending baby getting in the way…

First impressions on the contents of an ordinary brown box are two things, far too many clouds, not enough styrozone peanuts. I was actually a bit disheartened by the lack of packaging materials, somehow the polystyrene holders, although I’m sure sufficient, just didn’t appear to give that sense of security you feel by having to dig your scope out of its box, making a blumming good mess at the time too, and undoubtedly pretending your Tony Robinson on time team frantically trying to unearth a treasure because there’s an ad break coming!

Still everything was snug and secure and after being QC’d by Lee at Greenwitch, in full working order.

Here she is, a beautiful example of a Kunming optical F11 4” achro, with Altair Astro livery…

First impressions, this scope oooozes quality compared to my standard 200p and 80mm frac.

Some of the specs if your interested are

1120mm x 102mm giving F11 (ish)

Duel speed Crayford, additional tension plate, fully rotatable with Metal compression rings.

Good quality tube rings and saddle plate.

(Need to measure this) but a metal dew shield that’s about 200mm long, retractable and secured well.

Universal finder shoe, takes skywatcher, baader and other dovetail offerings.

Nice quantity of tube baffles, three I think..

A lovely deep purple/blue objective with a serial number gimmick to boot. (0034 if your wondering)

Screw on Lens cap, which is also metal, giving a good secure feel.

Now in the interest of fairness, because I’m smitten with this thing, I’m going to point out some concerns first before I run through a very brief and very unjust first light, which I will be updating from a dark site this weekend..

Mostly this is issues with the Crayford focuser, albeit a huge step up from the standard skywatcher Crayford on the 200p there are a few things that give me a “oooooo need to watch for that” quandary whilst in use… these are mainly to do with the two locking bolts, one for the rotating aspect and the other for the focuser drawtube locking/tension adjuster..

Firstly the drawtube locking nut, it is either on or off and when it’s off, by jeeps it feels loose on whatever little thread is left I’m expecting that it will at some point fall off..

Secondly the locking nut for the rotatable aspect of the focuser, great idea, like it a lot, however as you can see from the images I’ve attached a nice 50mm RACI finder. When you release the locking nut, which again seems to be on or off, there is no tension left and boy does the Crayford, finder and anything attached to it swing round to its lowest centre of gravity.

Thirdly and at the moment the last thing, I did notice whilst viewing Albireo that the dew shield did ever so slowly over the course of 15 mins slide back down the tube, this will need a bit of very minor fettling, but really at the moment is not a problem because as I don’t have an extension tube to lift the scope up I was practically standing on my head whilst viewing, something that I’m not particularly fond off doing for 1 min let alone 15…

Right to the Non first light report, im calling it that because I was stood in my garden unable to head off to dark sky’s.. (I was being blamed for condition of my wonderful partner and her 34 week pregnant aches, and boy the baby was kicking that night, obviously out of excitement for the new scope!).. thus I was stuck with 5 street lamps within 100ft of where I am, lights from the local pub and a neighbours security light that comes on whenever an amoeba pops up in front of it!

I attached a Rigel to the top of a tube ring, no way im sticking anything to the tube, and attached a 50mm RACI finder to the focuser.. Popped it on the eq5 and left it to cool outside the house on the grass, universally the worst viewing spot ever photographed on the forum… (Great idea for a separate thread BTW… might start that up in a bit)

So stars are my target, it was moonless and clear, but under the sky’s I had, stars, and simple good old fashioned ones at that, in terms of targets are my best bet, I can still pick out the signature stars of most constellations that are visible to my location, which we can forget about south so we are looking north, east and west..

I also used a 1.25mm dielectric and thought id stick with my TV plossl’s for the main. I chose not to put the semi apo in either, wanted the raw nature of the CA the scope might throw at me.

Albireo

Easy split, lovely colours, using a 11mm & 15mm TV plossl for a quick look, the fine focus on the duel speed helped a lot to get it just right, what can I say, nice clean crisp stars, no real discernible CA, good disks, in and out of focus, the scope looks to be in good alignment…

The double double

Now this is what I really wanted to test the scope on, I think I read somewhere that it makes a great test of the scopes optics..

I can just make out Eps Lyra with my eye from where I was stood, so no issues with alignment although I had to use averted vision with the rigel to put me in the location, centred with the 50mm and working with the 15mm, 11mm, 8mm began to explore the target.. now I’ll skip a bit here, and go straight for the the bit where I pushed my don’t go over 200x rule in the fire.. using the ES4.7 82deg I can get 238x out of this scope and you know what with the fine focus, this scope and that EP blew the stars apart… yes it was dim because of the LP & magnification, but I’ve never seen them separated like that before, clear separation, not just elongated, but clear very pleased with that result! I even managed to get the mum to be out to have a look at that point, and that meant pausing the bake off so no mean feat!

The Double Cluster

I wanted to look at this mainly because I wanted to look at some possible issues with the 1.25mm diagonal, based on a question in another thread.. This I thought was a good target as I know it quiet well in my scopes… I was looking specifically for softness on the edge, and it was present in my EP’s above 15mm, which is a shame for a number of reasons, firstly the revelation 1.25 is a good diagonal, and secondly I’d not noticed it in my omni 102 frac…

Called it a night after that, first impressions, a very nice scope, very nice indeed BUT it needs a 2” dielectric and it needs a taller mount for comfortable viewing overhead, unless you happy to sit on the floor hunched over!

Big posatives, it takes magnification well, better than my 200p, micro focusor and no defraction spikes on stars, its such a oure view too!

*update… I managed to secure a 2” opticron dielectric for £50, unused… very happy..

Second light, 83% moon phase, only one real target –MOON

Packed up and headed out into north Yorkshire about 20min drive to just north of thruscross reservoir, nice, quiet, high up on t’moor, no evident direct light pollution which is a massive plus…

Slight problem was no phone signal… with Emma due with our first child in 4 weeks this was a quick trip…

Started out with the moon, more specifically the area around Gassendi, Mare Humorum & Letronne.. simply stunningly crisp views, no hint of CA on the scope below 100x the 15mm TVP showed views better than I’ve seen to date, just followed the area for a good 15mins, quiet comfortably although I have to say I’d have liked a 0.9 ND filter after a while, for 100mm it was very bright after a while..

Moved on to the 11mm plossl, slight focus adjustment for crispness and moved on to Schiller and what looked like a wall built on to the moon, fantastic detail, however I did notice the faint hint of CA, but very faint, very very faint… interestingly I tried the semi apo which corrected the image with a tint of yellow but I actually preferred the view without!

After the close up I opted for some over all viewing, using the 2” 18mm ES82deg… again couldn’t fault anything here, spent a good while just drifting with the wind so to speak, before time caught up with me and I got interested in checking out some other targets..

M57..

Always liked this little Neb, the scope with 11mm ES82 showed a nice elliptical shape, no central star but pleasing contrast..

M34

Great sharpness on this cluster, not one I’ve looked at before, quirky with “doubles” very present in the view.. will definitely look in on this when I have more time!

Conclusion..

Love the scope, need a much better mount for visual (I’ve an AZ4 on the way) and on the lookout for a extension tube, needs a good finder bracket and scope too..

Other than the minor mechanical points previously, can’t find anything else wrong with it..

Now the big question… and I say this having never looked through one… would I still choose it over a ED100, which is easier to mount and probably shows less CA, comes with a carry case, diagonal and finder scope..?

YES emphatically so…. This is just a blooming good bit of glass, well housed with a look that just demands a bit of respect….

Thanks for reading and lasting it out..

Fozzie x

post-33699-0-83773200-1412466569_thumb.j

post-33699-0-29021000-1412466624_thumb.j

post-33699-0-43829900-1412466677_thumb.j

post-33699-0-00920100-1412466741_thumb.j

Nice report Fozzie :smiley:

These are clearly excellent scopes as I've never read a negative review about them.

Don't write the ED100 off until you have tried one though. Their build won't match the 102mm F/11 but optically the Synta ED doublets are really top notch :wink:

But you don't need to try one as you have a very nice 4" refractor already :smiley:

Thanks John, glad you enjoyed it.. I've read and been told great things about the ed100's, would love to try one out... And I 100% agree with previous comments in other threads... Great vale for money when you consider the package you get with a new 100ed, a genuine modern classic.

Still though I think I've fallen for a classic classic in those terms...

I just can't think of how to explain to my other half why I need another 4" refractor :rolleyes2:

That might be another issue I've just considered, and it holds a unknown but terrifying almost sinister meaning.... I've been actively encouraged when looking at this scope and then sourcing a second mount and dielectric (both second hand, but none the less) to match and bring out the best in this scope... Mmmmmmmmmmm a bit too encouraged now I think about it....

I may have been out manoeuvred here!

That might be another issue I've just considered, and it holds a unknown but terrifying almost sinister meaning.... I've been actively encouraged when looking at this scope and then sourcing a second mount and dielectric (both second hand, but none the less) to match and bring out the best in this scope... Mmmmmmmmmmm a bit too encouraged now I think about it....

I may have been out manoeuvred here!

Be afraid, be very afraid !!!!! :shocked:  :smiley:

truly enjoyed reading your review Fozzie.These scopes look superb and they work superb,never heard anything bad about them and I am sure,those minor mechanical issues you have with yours are maybe only teething issues for a new scope and for sure you will get them sorted out.This one makes also a nice grab and go set up :) get a solar filter or herschel wedge and this scope will blow your socks off for solar! 

ED  is a bit of a different animal and will give better corrected colors and less CA,but then again,classic Achro is classic and is the one what sits in that dark corner of refractor nuts heart :) Ed`s come and go,but a good Achro will always remain there. 

I have now a large ED,but i am still keeping my old 90mm classic achro! was intending to sell it,but i just couldnt do it so removed the add and will carry on using it.

Clear skies and enjoy the views!

Gaidis

Nice review Fozzie, sounds like a great scope. Good luck with your impending new arrival by the way. My son was born 9 days ago so astro activities temporarily curtailed, but hoping to start some quick views again soon.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Very nice report!

I have both the Lyra 102 and an ED100. Both are EXCELLENT scopes, and I love both so will be keeping both.

I do NOT think that the Lyra, being an achromat, is "inferior" at all to the ED100, and I do not think that the ED100, being an "ED" is inferior to an Apo.

They are different breeds, like Spaniels and Collies, each with their own merits, but ultimately are both excellent scopes.

Both deserve to be enjoyed, and it sounds like your example will be getting a lot of enjoyment. I hope to get mine out again soon, if/when this fog clears!

Ant

Cracking looking scope, the build quality looks superb, I would love to use one side by side with a Tal100RS and ED100.

Ben

I have, nowt in it, it would take a dedicated planet observer  ages to split the 2 scopes, i would be the first to agree the f11 has a slight edge, but it is slight

For me there is only one downside to this sort of scope and it is ergonomic rather than optical. They provide lovely sharp views but are really quite uncomfortable for me at least when observing all night in different areas of the sky.

I have refractors for solar and lunar as these objectare effectively in a fixed position.

It really is lovely stuff... I smile every time I walk past it.

I've not angered it on Saturn or Jupiter yet but the moon is just fantastic through it..

I've got it on an az4,needs an extension for it unless you like sitting on your bum to view at zenith..

Still haven't managed white light yet but hopefully over the next few weeks..

Long tubed scopes are exquisite to look at and look through but they do pose some mounting challenges, especially if they are to be kept portable. I'm still looking for a really good mounting solution for my 6" F/12 Istar refractor - the tube on that one is 6 1/2 foot long !

For me there is only one downside to this sort of scope and it is ergonomic rather than optical. They provide lovely sharp views but are really quite uncomfortable for me at least when observing all night in different areas of the sky.

I have refractors for solar and lunar as these objectare effectively in a fixed position.

My TAL on an AZ mount is really comfy to use when sat on a camping chair

Archived