sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Build a Model Solar System

Hi. I was reading the spa forum and a found a tip that involved using boot polish to make the markings stand out. I was wondeering if you can use sheo polish and if you can do this on both the base plate and the engraved gear?

Sam

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those who have blackened their orrery, have you done the 2 plates and the ring? I am struggling to get the polish into the ring and the plate that came with issue 7 (the one with all the lines, not the one with the date in roman numerals in the center

Final part arrived today, along with the first 3 sssues of the orbiter - there is also a replacement gear in the packaging with the Power supply which I assume is the moon/earth gear. Once I have sorted the shoe polish on the last of the 3 parts, I am off to build it.....

Best way of applying boot polish, is to place a small amount in a shallow dish or saucer. Warm it up so that it just melts to a liquid. Use a small piece of sponge or cloth and just dab the polish all over the brass plate. Let it harden, then gently polish off with a piece of cotton cloth until just the engraved lines are left filled with polish.

Once assembled, if you turn the speed controler as slow as it will go, you will find Mercury, takes 40 seconds to orbit the Sun. Earth takes 3 minuites 24 seconds. Pluto takes just over 8 hours 38 minutes.

Run on a faster speed doesn't do it justice. Running slow is very silent, Run fast and there is a very slight humming of the motors & gears. Make sure you place your model, where the cat can't get to it. Cat's are quite fascinated by them, and knocked my Neptune of its arm. ( luckily it fell on the carpet so wasn't damaged ) So apart from Earth, I have glued the planets to the arms with a slight touch of super glue, so they don't fall off.

All in all I am quite impressed with the model and look forward now to collecting all the parts for the new Tillerium. I think that this should be the most interesting of the two models and should look good displayed together. Ah well only another 49 parts to go!

The extra Earth gear is to replace some that run tight, which were sent out with some issues. But my original runs smooth and is not tight. Everyone please let us know what you think of your Orrery.

Geoff :)

Edited by Periscope

I have completed mine and I am quite impressed with it. I collected all the parts over the year, and then built it all in a day. My earth gear was a little tight and I needed the replacement one.

My only criticism is the non simplistic way they are combining issues one, two and three of the sun moon and earth orbiter with issue fifty two of the solar system. It's a pain in the bum. I sent them an email asking them to cancel, etc, and I did not get a straight answer. So I have to send the parts back I do not want and cancel my direct debit.

Anyway, the orrery is spot on.

I found with my subscription that email was a waste of time, they never answered so I always phoned them as well. As stated in my earlier post I rang and cancelled my subscription and my direct debit as I did not want the new Sun, Moon and earth Orbiter. They have since sent me 2 emails confirming my cancellation. The final part arrived this week so it's time to complete this impressive bit of kit.

Andy

Hi,

Just got issuses 48-51 (finally). Apparently the warehouse that manages shipping to Ireland was having difficulties, and so the parts arrived a whole month late.

I also emailed them to see if I could get a replacement Uranus and Neptune because they were painted incorectly. Being as impatient as I am, I emailed them 3 times, so now I'm getting three of each! Since I'm not gonna use them, if anyone wants one post a reply.

In my enquiring I found two email addresses which are much more efficient than solarspecific@dbfactory.co.uk. They are: Gill Gard at gillg@dbfactory.co.uk and Dan West at danw@dbfactory.co.uk , but don't tell them I gave their addresses away! They should reply in about a day.

As for the orbiter - which I haven't recieved yet - , I hope to be collecting it, but I do think it was sly assuming that we would want to continue the subscription.

Sam

Just plugged mine in tonight. Everything down to and including the Earth rotates, nothing below does. I can see I need to do some tweaking. Job for next week.

Shame about the plug sticking out of the bottom, spoils the look of it a bit.

Pretty satisfied with it though.

Plug my one in today for the first time and it works great. My wife loves it too and wants me to continue with the Tillerium. Althiugh I am not fussed about Neptune and Uranus being wrong, I was dissapointed with the red spot (more like circle) on Jupiter. sill I'm happy with the finnished product.

I got mine finished today and apart from Uranus and Neptune being wrong the only thing I could fault is that the Earth's Moon touches Venus on some rotations ! It's a minor issue that doesn't stop it working or detract from how pleased I am with it.

Andy