Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Build a Model Solar System

Well my magzines still haven't come, so I'm going to email them.

But theres been further updates to the new orbiter site. I think the model doesnt really demonstrate how complex it is at first glance, they posted a video that explains more.

Take a look :

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 52 copies of the magazine in total, if you do not cancel your direct debit then you will automatically be sent the new sun and earth magazine. I just recieved the motors etc, the next issue has the power supply and thats it. I am quite impressed actually, I was not impressed mind you on a couple of other things being sent then charged to my account. But its a one off so I will put up with that.

When I got issues 48 to 51 I read that if I wanted the Earth Orbiter model as an existing subscriber I needed to do nothing, my subscription would just continue on and the new parts would arrive. As I did not want to further subscribe to the Eath Orbiter I rang them today to cancel, I'm glad I did as I was told that the next DD withdrawl and delivery that I received would be my outstanding issue 52 plus the first ones for the new model :lol:

The only option I was given on the phone with them was to cancel my subscription at issue 51 and then have a back order with a single card payment for issue 52 which I duly paid. They are also sending me notification that my DD was cancelled after issue 51.

Regards, Andy

According to the flyer that came with the last issues, parts 1 and 2 of the new mag are free. So if we get these with the last part of BaMSS, surely they won't be charging us any more?

Thinking of building the new one as well anyway. Anybody else?

Only thing I don't like about it is the vac formed earth and sun that seem to come supplied in two parts - looks cheap :lol:

Tim

I have found these 6 or so pages an interesting read, and based on all your comments, I have just back ordered all the magazines from the website to build the Model Solar System.

Although everyone has commented on the quality of the brass parts, does anyone have a view on how accurate the working model is. In other words once calibrated, how often (in terms of the Earth Years shown on the Orrery) will it need re-calibrating. Will any of the planets move out of alignment before the others, because the cog gearing would need a much larger number of teeth to have a fighting chance.

just finished putting mine together and i love it. mind you i cant believe how heavy it is. I had it on top of the fish tank but i need to find it a new home, would hate to find my fish swiming round Jupiter.

I wasnt going to get the orbiter but my wife persuaded me that both the orrery and the orbiter would look good when displayed together, well if she is happy for me to spend £6 per week fr another year then i wont complain.

I made the error of persuming all the cogs had the same amount of teeth.Should be fun starting again from scratch lol. I am going to carry on ordering the sun and moon orbiter ,the 6quid would only be spent on junk anyway.Both Orrery's will look good together .

JUst the last issue to collect now and this is Part 52 containing the transformer. With the last isues, 48 to 51, the final base, legs, speed controller & motor were delivered.

Also for those who have subscribed to this series, they will be sent parts 1 & 2 Free, of the new Earth, Moon, & Sun Orbiter, or Tillerium. This is another astronomical model, which again, will come in 52 Parts. To find out more about this latest model click here

http://build-model-orbiter.com/index.html

I will be collecting this too, as I am so pleased with the quality of the Orrery

Periscope :)

hope they keep up with the quality of the mags as i suspect there will be a lot of repetition in the new one (Also, why does the earth look so cheap and plasticky on the issue 1 of the new model. it looks like its 2 halfs glued together, you can even see the seam on it)

hope they keep up with the quality of the mags as i suspect there will be a lot of repetition in the new one (Also, why does the earth look so cheap and plasticky on the issue 1 of the new model. it looks like its 2 halfs glued together, you can even see the seam on it)

Maybe it lights up like the sun and is made in two halfs to insert the light. The whole model looks quite good and more pleasing than the orrery. Regarding the mags, they could contain some repetitive material, but I should imagine that more up to date stuff will be forthcoming. Anyway, I'm more interested in the model, than the magazines.

Geoff :)

Archived