Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Build a Model Solar System

i am building one just recently received the bits to put asteroid Ceres on I must admit I was a littlesceptical at first but I must admit it is beautifully engineered the brass is fully coated so it wont tarnish. Ive also had a look on several web sites that sell these orrery and the closest equivalent I could find in both size and build quality was retailing out at nearly £1500 so I reckon the mag one is pretty good value for money all told

regards Pete

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought only the 1st issue when it first came out, to see what it looks like and it's heavy. It's definitely brass :-) But I know that I won't have time to build it and it's £5+ per week, so that's a little steep in the long run.

If anyone needs some missing pieces from the 1st issue, send me a pm, as it's just going to be sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

I delved into this and can honestly say that the model is building beautifully, the books I must add are very informative to say the least and as I have always wanted an orrery of sorts and the ability to actually put it together myself I am more than pleased with it all so far. The quality of the build so far is excellent.

Funny enough, I was in Asda this morning, and while the wife went about browsing the latest fashions by George, I had a browse through the Magazine shelves. Lo and behold, there was the Mag with Orrery parts tacked to it. There was only one magazine, and when I lifted it off the shelf for a better look, I found a packet with the same components on the shelf. I guess some poor sap has the mag. but no bits, so he's off to a bad start.

I had a good look at the brass gear inside, together with some fine screws. The quality does appear quite good, but I wouldn't dream of buying it the way it is being marketed.

I would much rather buy it as kit without the magazine.

I only hope those who have embarked on this build, are not disappointed by finding missing parts, or even the project drying up before all the parts have been supplied.

Ron. :shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

Rest assured, I don't think this kit will dry up. The Build A Victory Kit didn't as I have seen a finished model of it. Having said that, the Victory cost a lot more than the Orrery too, just over £600. The difference with this Orrery kit over the Victory, is quality. The Victory, which being a model ship builder, was not up to standard for the price it was going to cost.

I started collecting it and after 6 issues, cancelled my subscription, because the wood was pretty poor quality, compared to an excellent kit of the Victory from Caldercraft (Jotika) which retails at £695, Believe me, these are top quality, as I have build one of their smaller models.

This Orrery for the total price is very good, for what the parts are made from. Do you know what scrap brass is fetching now, over £5000 a ton. £320 may seem a lot, but for an Orrery it's a bargain. You won't pick up one of these for less than a couple of grand, as you can't just buy them of the shelf. These models are usually built to order by a craftsman. Do a search on Google and type in Orrery and you will find out.

I think this Build A Model Solar System is worth having, while you have the chance, it won't get repaeated, once the series finish and you will have a beautiful model that you can cherish. Having read some of the positive posts in this thread, I have just taken out a subscription and have also ordered the first three back issues starting with 1, until I catch up with the current issue.

If you order now, you will have to start with issue 20, then order the back issues from 1 upwards, until you catch up, but you still get the first issue at £1.99 plus the free gifts. (toolkit etc).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have been collecting this Build A Model Solar System for just over a month and I am very impessed with the quality of all the parts. As this series started in January this year, I had to start off my subscription with issues 20 to 23. I am also ordering the back issues at the rate of three issues per fortnight, to catch up.

So far I have back issues 1 to 9, with issues 11 to 13 in the post, as well as issues 24 to 27 which are the next current issues. Issue 10 which I already have, was the issue that got me interested in this series, when I found it in W.H. Smiths.

The accompanying magazines are also very well put together and make interesting reading. I am storing all the parts until I have the whole collection, before I start to assemble the model, rather than assemble each part as it arrives. Something to keep me occupied during those cloudy evenings. :):(:clouds1:

Geoff :salute:

• 1 month later...

well i am loving building this orrery, every 4 or 5 weeks i get the required parts collected to assemble the next section. So far i have assembled upto Jupiter and next is Saturn. Already have Saturn just need the gears etc to put it together. Everyone who visits always comments on it as it has pride of place in my living room and my dad was both surprised and impressed at the build quality and the weight of it, and its getting quite heavy now. Cant wait for it to be completed. I know its expensive but i think in the long run something like this will become an heirloom.

Issues 28 to 31 arrived this morning and I am wating for back issues 14 to 19 to arrive. This will bring me up to date with the series, as I only started collecting from issue 20.

The quality of each part is excellent and I am very impressed with the vacuum sealed plastic packaging, which each part comes in. Once I have all the parts, I will make a start on assembling it.

I agree with you Simon, that it is not a cheap kit, but considering the amount of parts you get to complete the Orrery, it is good value as everything except some Nylon washers and bushes etc, is made of solid brass, and beatifully machined to a high class finish. It will increase in value as time goes on, because something like this is not your ordinary run of the mill kit that you normally see in model shops. Plus it will make a very attractive showpiece to grace your lounge or study.

Geoff :salute:

One tip i would suggest for those building this, and the rest of us who are constantly fighting the temptation to start doing so ourselves, is to get hold of a STEEL M3 screw, so you can run it into the threads, as the brass screws and threads are both soft metals, and if the machine that has made them has misaligned slightly or not cut deep enough into the thread, then it could damage the screws when they are inserted. The steel screw will at least ensure the brass ones go in smoothly afterwards.

How do you order back issues, I had accidently bent Saturn and my dad bent Earth...

But looking on the website, you order it and then it asks for your card no, once thats done you get no confirmation. And looking at issues ordered it says needs payment.

Is it easier to ring them?

How do you order back issues, I had accidently bent Saturn and my dad bent Earth...

But looking on the website, you order it and then it asks for your card no, once thats done you get no confirmation. And looking at issues ordered it says needs payment.

Is it easier to ring them?

I have had trouble ordering back issues, direct off the Web Site, with no confirmation. So I decided to ring them. This way, at least you get to speak to someone who will take your card details after you tell them which issues you need. It takes about 28 days before you recieve them, so don't panic, you will get them.

I started late with thiss series, so have had to order all the back issues from No1 to 19, to catch up. But contacting them by phone is better than trying to order through the website. I even had to ring them when I first took out my subscription, as I never heard anything after filling in all my details using the website. The phone method does get results.!!!

Geoff

I've just started mine after seeing this thread. Got a back order of 1-12 and an ongoing order of 24 on. I've built the 1-12 and am impressed with the quality. Just waiting now to get 13-23.

I've decided to leave the planets off until it's finished so they don't get damaged.

I've done the boot polish thing as described on the SPA forum, it makes quite a difference to the visibility of the marking.

Doesn't seem to have on mine. The suggestion on SPA is to use Kiwi which is what I had in the cupboard. It does take several goes to fill the dents, but does polish back up to a shine. Nobody on SPA seems to be complaining that it has ruined their lacquer, and they all did theirs earlier in the year. I assumed that meant all was okay, which is why I went ahead and did mine.

Archived