Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Build a Model Solar System

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscribed to this the first time it was available - late last year. Got 4 issues then a letter saying that they were having problems with supply. Just got a letter this morning saying that they were back up to full production and that my subscription is to continue. This isnt just a 24 page mag - it s building your own orrery - and it all made from brass! So far, i have the base plate, motor mount, centre spindle and the sun - all in brass - looks great. So glad they managed to get supply sorted. I would recommend this to anyone.

Iain

Well I just phoned to get the info thats not on the website..

Its a 52 issue run so thats 51 issues @£5.99 + 1 issue @£1.99 = a grand total of £307.48 in order to get all the parts to build the model.

I can find better uses for that amount of cash and probably pick up an orrery on ebay secondhand cheaper.

Mrs RA just brought it home for me today as a suprise whichit certainly was can't wait for the other 51 instalments I quickly said I hope she is shelling out for those too although I somehow doubt it I must say it does look like a good bit of kit a proper orrery and it is endorsed by Sir Pat to boot! uses high quality solid brass gears its a mains powered beasty too

issue2 includes Sun column and suport and drive shaft

issue 3 includes drive gear venus gear and drive assembly

issue 4 includes the complete stage one with the planet Mercury

so there we go then :)

Money well spent (if its hers) :wink:

Well I just phoned to get the info thats not on the website..

Its a 52 issue run so thats 51 issues @£5.99 + 1 issue @£1.99 = a grand total of £307.48 in order to get all the parts to build the model.

I can find better uses for that amount of cash and probably pick up an orrery on ebay secondhand cheaper.

Already trawled Ebay nothing there except for very cheap and naff looking plastic models!

Seen it advertised on the TV last night, looks good, but I wouldn't waste money on it, rather buy more astro kit and look at the real thing.

naz

I am not overly concerned swmbo says if I continue to be no more naughty than what she considers me to be then she will continue to get all the issues for me (its her way of giving something back after all I'm out of her hair a lot) :hello1: :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot buy these fully built in the shops or online. I suspect they will be selling for much more as collectors pieces later on. I for one will be getting one, its looks beautiful...a working model of the solar system!!

Ken

My wife offered to get me the magazine but i told her there is a full scale working model of the solar system above my head each night,give me £6 every week and by xmas i'll buy something worthwhile.

Still waiting here for the second issue we won't get it until Tuesday next according to our local newsagents we are a week behind the big shops in Leeds he said. Well I said what if the world ends a week early? do I have to get my last one from Town like I had my first one gotten ?

Should have seen the look on his face it was a picture :shock:

• 3 months later...

So how is everyone getting on with their orrerrerrerys then? :shocked: Im not opening mine until I have the lot of them, but they are starting to weigh quite a bit, the £300 sounds a lot if you were giving it to them in a lump sum, but £25 a month isnt as much, tho i must remember to start paying it off the cc more regularly, lol. Received up to issue 19 this week, so halfway there in the september batch! Finding the magazines very interesting, with some in depth articles in there.

Archived